Pete, Cadillac Technician
Experience:  17 years Cadillac experience as a technician.
14928985

I also have a 2006 SRX with AWD. I have a sound coming from

Customer Question

I also have a 2006 SRX with AWD. I have a sound coming from the front of the engine which sounds like a timing chain rattle. However the sound is not consistent.
JA: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?
Customer: the front of the engine and about six months
JA: Are you fixing your SRX yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I will fix it myself (if possible) I don't know what to try. The Cadillac dealer wants 2800.00 to investigate the problem
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I have 160,000 miles and I have the oil consumption problem. Will switching to a petroleum based oil help.
Submitted: 25 days ago.
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Pete replied 25 days ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

The timing chain tensioner can rattle intermittently like this here causing this fault.I have seen several do this before and can be inconsistent like this.If they dealer has made sure this isnt an issue with the idler or tensioner pulley or a component driven by the drive belt then I would suspect this as the cause here and usually it does require further investigation to make sure and repair it.

As for the oil consumption usually the only way to really correct this is to have the fault repaired.This can be valve seals or engine piston oil rings causing this.I know some have gone to a thicker weight oil but this on this engine can harm the engine over all so it isnt advised.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete