sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

I have a 2007 escalade. My check engine light came on and my

Customer Question

I have a 2007 escalade. My check engine light came on and my car wouldn't shift out of first gear.
JA: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?
Customer: Seems to stay on until the transmission temp cools down and it runs fine until it gets two hot around 178 degrees
JA: Are you fixing your Escalade yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I had the fluids drained and change rear and front trans fluids
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: It appears that there is a delay in backing up and not enough power to back up my steep drive way
Submitted: 26 days ago.
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  david craig replied 26 days ago.

Hi Im David, first thing you need to do is have the transmission control module interrogated for fault codes to find out whats causing the problem or what fault code is coming up.

Expert:  david craig replied 25 days ago.

any upate?

Customer: replied 24 days ago.
will take to mechanic this weekend when I return home. (traveling).
Expert:  david craig replied 24 days ago.

ok, i hope that it turns out to be an easy fix for you. but without any codes to go by, my assistance is limited. depending on the codes will depend on whether or not you and i can fix the issue. let me know the codes before you give them the ok to repair. thanks

Customer: replied 24 days ago.
Will do thanks I should fly back tonight and be at shop in the morning get the codes and contact you prior to any ok and or authorization to repair. Thanks

you're welcome

Expert:  david craig replied 23 days ago.

checking in to see how its going

Expert:  david craig replied 22 days ago.

hello???????

Expert:  david craig replied 21 days ago.

do you still need assistance?

Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 20 days ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

Your trans is going into limp in. When the powertrain control module sees an issue that will prevent proper operation it will set fault codes and lock the trans in a single gear to prevent damage.

There are dozens of possible causes for limp in including solenoids, speed sensors, wiring, internal trans issues, even the powertrain control module itself.

The first step in diagnosing the problem is to use a scan tool or code reader to see what fault codes have set and then testing can be done from there. Have you yet had the codes read?