sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

The seat heater for the rear seat on the driver's side is

Customer Question

The seat heater for the rear seat on the driver's side is not working. When I press the button in the center console to turn the heater on the icon on the display turns on for about 5 seconds, then goes off. If I press the button multiple times the indicator on the display shows that the level is getting turned down (or off), but no matter what level I leave it at the indicator will turn off after a few seconds, and the seat never heats up.What problem does this indicate, and what do I need to do to fix it?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

There are several things that can prevent a seat heater from working and it will take some testing to determine what is going on. The correct first step in diagnosis would be to use a scan tool to see what fault codes are setting and then testing can begin based on that.

The problem may be the module, wiring, and the most likely cause would be a bad seat heater element. If no scan tool is available then the best thing to do would be to check the elements for an open circuit using an ohm meter.

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
Scan tool reports the following for the Rear Heated Seat Module
B1925 Driver Seat Cushion Heater Sensor Circuit (05 - High voltage/open)
B2425 Driver Seat Cushion Heater Circuit (1F - Erratic)One possible data point is that when I press the button I do not hear a relay activate like I do when I press the button for the passenger side seat. Those seem to indicate that the circuit sensor has detected an open circuit (in the heating element?), so the module does not activate the relay that would send power to the element. Does that seem reasonable?
Thanks!
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 29 days ago.

Yes, it isn't going to power the element with either of these codes set. These codes both point to driver seat base element failure.

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
I was afraid of that. I'm assuming I can verify that the heater element has an open circuit using an ohm meter. Which pins of which connector do I check for that? Can you point me to the repair procedure?
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 28 days ago.

Can you post the VIN?

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
1GYF K668 98 R19 2962

What you'll want to do is disconnect the memory seat module connector and check the resistance between the light green wire in pin 11 and the pink in pin 14. If you see an open circuit then the issue is the element.

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
The rear bucket seat doesn't have memory. Is it's heater element controlled by the driver's seat controller, or does it have a controller of its own?

The codes you listed were for the driver's seat. That's not the seat that isn't working?

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
No, it's the driver side rear. I recently repaired a melted power pin connector on the controller for the heated/cooled front seats. Maybe the codes are a remnant of that problem.

You can either test at the rear heated seat module or at the element, you're testing continuity between the brown and pink wire.

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
Ok, the weather finally allowed me to check this. At the controller I have about 12 ohms across pink and brown.
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 22 days ago.

There isn't a published specification for resistance but you definitely don't have an open circuit.

Try comparing this to the resistance of the right rear element, test continuity between the orange and the white/black wires.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I pulled the seats apart again and measured the resistance across the orange and white/black wires at about 12K ohms. This seemed odd to me, particularly since those wires are smaller gauge that the brown and pink wires on the brown connector to the controller. So I checked resistance across the other two wires in that brown connector (blue and grayish-brown in the picture posted previously) that are the same heavy gauge as the pink and brown wires. The resistance across blue-to-grayish-brown was within one ohm of the pink-to-brown resistance. And when I turn on the passenger side rear seat heater, in addition to the relay clicking in the controller I measure 12 v across the blue-to-grayish-brown wires (which drops when the seat heater is turned off). So I think the correct wires for the passenger side rear seat heater element are the blue and grayish-brown wires at the brown connector, and given that both elements have the same resistance, I think my heater element in the seat that isn't heating up is OK.
From this I'm guessing that the problem is either the controller or the control panel in the center console. Do you know how to determine which of those (or something else) is the next most likely culprit?
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 13 days ago.

What is the resistance shown between the light blue and dark blue wires?