sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

My husband changed the heater filter and now(don't know if

Customer Question

Hi...My husband changed the heater filter and now(don't know if this has anything to do with it)the car starts like a charm, then shuts down.
JA: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?
Customer: Battery less than a year old, he ck'd the connections and even charged it
JA: What is the make/model/year of your car?
Customer: 2004 Cadillac cts
JA: Are you fixing your CTS yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: checked fuses, oil
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Eric replied 1 month ago.

HI,

How quickly does it shut down after starting it?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Right away
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Eric replied 1 month ago.

HI,

Ok, is the security light staying on, flashing, or going off?

does it have the regular key ignition or the push start ignition feature?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Regular key ignition, we aren't sure what that looks like.....does it look like a padlock? If that's it, it comes on but goes off. Engine light sometimes stays on, but not always. The battery light is constantly on.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The screen says "service engine soon", that just came on.
Expert:  Eric replied 1 month ago.

HI,

Yes, the security light is the padlock light. If it is coming on and going off within 10 seconds, then the security system is not the issue.

I dont see where changing the filter would cause this issue and am stumped on this one. I will open this back up to other experts to see if one may have come across this before

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok, thanks
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 28 days ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

There are many things that can cause the engine to die but the description does sound much like a security issue. If the service engine soon warning is on though that's the first thing that needs to be addressed. The first step in diagnosing the issue will be to use a scan tool or code reader to see what fault codes are setting and then testing can be done from there Have you read the codes?