Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

I have a 2007 Cadillac ESV. It was running great until about

Customer Question

I have a 2007 Cadillac ESV. It was running great until about 8 months ago. At a routine oil change the mechanic at the dealership said I had a leaky valve cap. I said fix it. He said he did. Since that time the vehicle has been burning about 4 liters of oil between oil changes. Also, on occasion, blue smoke will come out of the exhaust when I start the car up. I have had the spark plugs replaced and the wires replaced the exhaust cleaned etc, but it is still going on. What do you think the problem is?
JA: When was your last oil change?
Customer: About 6 weeks ago. I have filled it twice since.
JA: What is the make/model of your car?
Customer: 2007 Cadillac ESV
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I only take it to the Cadillac dealership I bought it from
JA: What year is your '07 Cadillac?
Customer: 2007 - hence the '07
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I think that is it - total mileage is approx. 224,000 kms.
Submitted: 29 days ago.
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Eric replied 29 days ago.

HI,

Ok, that sounds like they either crimped the pcv hosing, misrouted it or possibly damaged the pcv valve at the end of the hose. If the PCV(positive crankcase ventilation) system is not working properly, the engine will burn oil as the crankcase pressure builds up and forces oil past the oil rings.

They need to go back over their work which did require removing the pcv hosing and valve and correct the problem - either replace the hose if they crimped it or replace the valve if it was damaged.

Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks.

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT today.
Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better.
All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating

Please note that if you have a subscription service, you still are required to rate service, however you are not charged again. This is just so that your expert is credited for their time and services. Thank you.

Expert:  Eric replied 27 days ago.

I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.

~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?
~Need more detail or a different explanation?

If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.

If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page.

Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks

Expert:  Eric replied 21 days ago.

~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Eric replied 21 days ago.

HI,

I see you have requested a phone call. First, what is your followup question or concern and lets see if I can answer it thru this format as a phone call is an additional fee, and I would like to save you that if possible

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Hi Eric,
The Dealership checked all the PVC hoses and they are good. They are now removing and checking the valve covers. Thoughts on next best step?
Expert:  Eric replied 21 days ago.

HI,

Provided that no issues are found with the valve covers such as blockage at the pcv port, then the next step is a dry and wet compression test of each cylinder to see if there is low compression in any cylinders and determine whether it is valve seals and guides or piston ring

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** see what they come up with.
Expert:  Eric replied 21 days ago.

HI,

Ok, sounds good