Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Toyota mastertech
Experience:  master tech at Toyota dealer
24571351

I have a 2008 SRX with less than 34,000 miles. The ride is

Customer Question

I have a 2008 SRX with less than 34,000 miles. The ride is rough. I have rented other cars, driven loaners and test-driven new cars and they all seem to ride smoother over the bumps than my car. I don't remember how it was when new but I just read a review of the car when new and it boasts about the great suspension. Do I need new shocks at 33,500 miles?
JA: How has the ride been lately? Have you noticed any fluid under the car?
Customer: There is no fluid under the car and recently when it was jacked up at the tire place I looked at the rear shocks and they looked dry. The article says that I have a multi-link suspension in the rear. It should be smooth as silk. Has there been that much advancement in suspension technology since 2007 (it was a new 2008 but I bought it in late 2007)
JA: Are you fixing your SRX yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No. All of the service has been at the dealer.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I can't think of anything. I am really interested to know if suspension technology has advanced siginificantly or if mine is just worn even only at 33,500 miles. Thanks very much for your help.
JA: What year is your '08 MiniE?
Customer: I don't understand the ?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Peter Bagley replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer. I value your input to my questions so I may help you better. give me a min to prepare my answer.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I am waiting for your answer.

Yes suspensions have over the years advanced dramatically. unfortunately the old adage of ride verses performance hasn't changed too much. What I mean by that is if you want a smooth softer ride you sacrifice performance and handling, where if you want a vehicle to grip the road better and handle around corners etc better you will sacrifice ride and comfort.This is all done by heavier or lighter springs. or as they say stiffer suspensions . type of tires they use and tire inflation, also alignment geometry can come into play as well. So if your particular vehicle is more to the sport side it will be slightly stiffer suspension and sportier tires. there are a few things you may be able to to to get a compromise depending on how much you want to spend. To do that I would recommend we chat on the phone so I can give you a list of things that are available to do. Hope this enlightens you to your issue.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
This doesn't help at all. The car came with the standard suspension when new. According to the Top Speed web site it has an "independent short/long arm (SLA) front suspension featuring aluminum front upper and lower control arms. ... the independent multi-link rear suspension with fully isolated rear frame is one of the most advanced in the segment. Aiding the subtle ride is exceptional wheel travel, with 200mm of travel in the front and nearly 250 mm in the rear." There was never any tradeoff between performance and comfort that you speak of. I question whether you are qualified as a Cadillac mechanic to answer my question, which is, is the ride rough because the suspension parts are worn, even only after 33,500 miles, or have engineering advancements occurred even beyond this advanced technology which would account for newer cars riding better? You need to be more specific than just "suspensions have over the years advanced dramatically."