Ask Don 'Mo Lurch' Your Own Que...
Don 'Mo Lurch'
Don 'Mo Lurch', Cadillac Technician
Experience:  GM, Cadillac Cert., Heavy Line Mech, Race Shop Owner, Mobile Electronics.
1609972

Have a 1995 fleetwood brougham. Passcode system failure at

Customer Question

Have a 1995 fleetwood brougham. Passcode system failure at times. I want to bypass this system. How do I do this? I was told to remove ignition lock cylinder plug it up put key in and turn to on position and them strap the cylinder to column and replace cylinder with regular lockcylinder without chipped key. Is this correct or is there another way? The door locks engage when you put key in and unlock when you turn the key to start position only when it will not crank if this helps
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  roybelding replied 1 month ago.

hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be glad to assist you. please allow me a couple of minutes to gather some basic info.

Roy

ok, does your key have a resistor in it??? you would see some wire on either side

Roy

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Has chipped key, had new one made same thing

ok, does it have the resistor wires exposed???

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
no

ok, I am not familiar with that system

I will re post for you.

someone will be along shortly

Roy

Expert:  Don 'Mo Lurch' replied 1 month ago.

sorry......the procedure you described will do nothing
Your Ignition Key has a "Resistor" in the metal shank of the Key
When that is inserted in the Ignition Switch Cylinder, the Ignition Switch Cylinder reads the Resistor Value & sends this Value to the Computer to Start & Run.
There are "15" different Resistor Values.
Only One is used in the Resistor in the Key
The best way to "ByPass" this is to use a Kit made by:
http://newrockies.com/
There Kit is easy to install, but you need some Mecahnical & Electronics background to Install correctly
Let me know if you need further

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
what I tried to tell you was I had a new key cut that had the appropriate chip in it with the appropriate resistance in it and it still will not crank. Bike ranking I mean it will not turn over until the passcode light goes out then it will turn over and fire up and run
Expert:  Don 'Mo Lurch' replied 29 days ago.

I read & understand what you posted............
The New Key has not been Programmed correctly & / or the Communication Control Module may need to be replaced
When a New Key is made, it has to be Programmed like this:

Key Replacement (No Spare Key Available)

If the Ignition Key is lost and there is no spare key, determine the mechanical code from the code on the Ignition Key Lock Cylinder. The code may also be determined from the dealer invoice for the vehicle, or from the Cadillac Zone Office.
Cut a new key to this mechanical code. Use a blank PASS-Key(R)II test key which has a no resistance pellet. This key will be used to operate the Ignition Switch for the remaining steps.
Remove the Hush Panel under the Steering Column and disconnect the two-cavity connector leading into the Steering Column.
IMPORTANT:

If the vehicle is equipped with Supplemental Inflatable Restraints (SIR), do not confuse the SIR 2-Way (yellow) connector with the Ignition Switch Lock Cylinder Harness Connector.
Insert the male half of the connector into the female pigtail connector from the J 35628-A Interrogator.
Set the key code selector on the Interrogator (J 35628-A or equivalent) to "1."
Attempt to start engine using the key made in step 2.
If engine starts, the key code selector is set to the correct electrical code. Cut a new key having this electrical code. The new key will be the customer 5 replacement key.
If engine does not start, turn Ignition Switch to "OFF," then turn the key code selector to the next higher position. Wait four minutes and attempt to start the engine using the new electrical code. Use the 4-minute timer on the J 35628-A Interrogator to indicate the 4-minute interval. Start the timer by depressing the "Start" Rocker Switch. The "RED" Indicator will turn off at the end of a four minute interval. This procedure must be repeated until the engine can be started. Cut a new key having the electrical code which allowed the vehicle to start.

Expert:  Don 'Mo Lurch' replied 27 days ago.

.

did you need more information?
please respond or rate my answer

thank you