Pete, Cadillac Technician
Experience:  17 years Cadillac experience as a technician.
14928985

Have about a five amp battery draw it goes away when I

Customer Question

Have about a five amp battery draw it goes away when I unplug 1 of the BODY W/H IN THE FUSE BOX
JA: Have you checked the manual yet? Most vehicles have two fuse panels.
Customer: No I haven't
JA: What is the model/year of your Cadillac?
Customer: 2005 srx
JA: Are you fixing your SRX yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I tried taking the fuses out in the engine compartment 1 one by 1
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No I just need to know where the body wiring harness goes to
JA: OK. To minimize me, please click the down arrow at the top right corner of this box.
Customer: I'm on my phone I don't see an arrow
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Pete replied 1 month ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

Below is the procedure I follow to help locate the source of the battery draw.If you can find the fuses circuit let me know so we can locate the component at fault from there.

what needs done is to leave the key out of the vehicle with the windows rolled up and make sure everything is off with access to the battery.

Set the meter to amperage or milliamp and disconnect the negative cable from the battery.Put the leads in the multi meter the correct way (negative in negative and positive in the amperage or milliamp slot if equipped).

Connect one cable from the meter to the ground cable that was connected to the battery and the other lead to the ground terminal on the battery,this way the current is flowing through the multi meter.

After around 5 to 10 minutes see what the meter reads for a amperage draw.Normally you want to see less then 50 milliamp or less then .05 amp.

If you see over this amount of a battery draw/drain then your vehicle has an electrical component draining the battery.

From here you would remove one fuse at a time with the meter still in place and observe the reading on the meter until you come across one fuse that allows the draw to read below the 50 milliamp.This is the fuse or circuit that has the component on it that is drawing down the battery.Make sure when you remove one fuse if it is not the issue reinstall it and move to the next waiting a minute between each fuse removed to get an accurate reading.

Once you find the fuse or circuit its on then you would look on a wiring diagram to see what that fuse powers and unplug each of those components one at a time until you locate the component causing the draw then this component would need replaced.If you need help knowing what is on the fuses circuit once the fuse is located let me know.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete