Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems
Experience:  Owner at Carolina Auto service & Sales , 20 years Experience in Foreign & Domestic vehicles
45790705

05 Escalade- 167K we drove it on a trip in Aug. On the way

Customer Question

05 Escalade- 167K we drove it on a trip in Aug. On the way home thought we had a flat. Got out, checked, no tire issues. Started driving again. Thought had a flat, then realized the brakes were "pulsing". We stopped for a few, no issue, then about an hour later, same issue again. Seems to happen between 55-62 mph. Got it home, took it to local shop, said wheel bearing (pass side) was shot. Ordered original GM part and installed today. Got everything buttoned up and went for test drive. Seemed fine until I hit about 60 and then it feels like both front brakes are grabbing and the vehicle is either losing power, or feels like losing power. The "service stability" light is on too now, wasn't before. I have owned this vehicle since '11 and put 60K on it with no problems what so ever until the last 3 months and everything seems to be falling apart all of the sudden..
JA: Do you have the trouble code? Do you have a code reader or scan tool?
Customer: No check engine light is coming on. Don't have a scan tool, and the last time a check engine light came on the shop said their tool didn't read a code- I want to say he said the OBD port didn't pick up the scan tool. If that is the case I would suspect the vehicle wouldn't even turn over at that point?
JA: I'll pass this info along to the Cadillac Mechanic so that he can get you a quick fix. Are you fixing your Escalade yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Replaced pass wheel bearing today. Battery in Aug. Water pump, hoses, belts, last year. The only other brake related fix on this rig was the hydra-boost last year. The old one was leaking power steering fluid pretty bad and we replaced it with a brand new one. Haven't had a leak from that one yet.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I am trying to sell this vehicle as we don't need it and I don't want to dump a lot of money into it, but I am also not going to sell a bum vehicle to someone for cheap if I can fix it and get a little more money for it... I just need it safe to drive at this point.
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 6 months ago.

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

hey how are you

sorry you having this problem with it

The stability control coming on has to do with ABS pump system. you will need to scan it with GM scanner or equivalent that can communicat with that module

to retrieve fault codes, it could be an abs sensor on one of the wheels, yaw sensor, steering angle sensor , premature activation of pump, if the PCM pick up the fault , it will make it go in limp mode , like reduced power ?

would say the brakes are grabbing or you felling reduced power ?

since no scanner is available Lets try a master reset , if that dont work then we will need that scan so i can be more accurate for you on what is wrong.

Master reset Procedure

1- Disconnect Battery Cables ( Negative & Positive Cables )you can use any electrical wire as an extension if battery cables don't reach .

2- Hold cables Together for 60 secs ,then let go

3- Wait 15 minutes

4- Make sure all doors are closed

5- Reconnect battery Cables

6- Lock & unlock the vehicles using the key from driver door side (if you have a key fob with no blade key, just lock & unlock using the key fob buttons)

7- Enter the vehicle and attempt to start

as fa as safe driving that depends, if the calipers are engaging and brakes grabbing that it is not safe to drive , if only the stability light on and everything else working normal then it is okay .

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
What exactly will this do for the ECM?

ECM ( Engine control module ) computer of the car

in your car (on American made cars ,) they call them PCM ( power control module )

Basically same thing , European and Asian vehicles they call the ECM.

i m assuming that is is the question what does is do for the PCM not ECM , it will send a signal that the car is not stable and PCM needs reduce power for safety issue and might put engine in limp mode , meaning can go over certain speed and rpm .

Please let me know if you need anything else on it

Thank You

Chad Farhat

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Problem is still persisting. I drove it for about 2 miles under 45 mph. The brake pedal started to get firmer than normal and once I got up to 55 the brakes starter to engage and they clamped down to the point where we wouldn't even move forward at idle on a flat surface. I am starting to think there is another bigger issue at play here.

you abs pump is engaging the caliper premature ,at this time you will need a diagnostic scan using gm scanner or equivalent and retrieve the fault codes from ABS module so we can narrow it down , get me those fault codes and post them back her and i can help you further on it

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 5 months ago.

Please let me know if you need anything else on it, just reply back and we will continue

If you are good, Please Kindly Rate Me.

A 5 Star Rating is much Appreciated

If you feel I have not been helpful Please DO NOT RATE ME BAD OR POOR (1 or 2 stars) ,You can always ask me again or I can opt out of your question & open it for another expert ,that will provide you with more or better assistance on this issue

Please keep in mind that when you rate me , it does not end our conversation.

you can always come back to this conversation and ask me any follow up question you may have on this issue

(you can copy this link page & paste it in your browser when ready and it will open up our conversation again)

Thank You
Chad Farhat

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Vehicle is at a service shop right now and they are going to try and get the vehicle to do the same and get me the codes.

ok sounds good

Just let me know

Thanks

Chad