Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

2006 DTS, I will try to fix it myself, I hope I can. I have

Customer Question

Hello Pearl
JA: What is the model/year of your Cadillac?
Customer: 2006 DTS
JA: Are you fixing your DTS yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I will try to fix it myself, I hope I can. I have tried to pull the panel that is around the gear shift off so I can locate the shift release... I hope you understood that.
JA: How old is the transmission? Have you noticed any leaking?
Customer: The trans is 10 years old, I think it came with the car. I have not noticed any leaking. It only has about 58,000 miles on it. I would say it's in fairly good condition.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I was manually shifting the gears from 2nd to drive. I usually don't drive the care in that fashion.... I that is it
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cadillac
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I cannot get the car to shift out of park.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hello how are you doing? Please take a look at this video, I hope it helps highlight the problem. If this is indeed the problem, what parts would I need to fix it? How would I go about fixing it? Thank you so much, if you have any other questions please let me know. Oh I forgot to mention, when I used to screwdriver to engage the pin (or whatever it is called) I was able to shift the car in reverse and back up about 5 feet. I then shifted it into drive and moved it forward about 5 five feet. Thanks again.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hello how are you doing? Please take a look at this video, I hope it helps highlight the problem. If this is indeed the problem, what parts would I need to fix it? How would I go about fixing it? Thank you so much, if you have any other questions please let me know. Oh I forgot to mention, when I used to screwdriver to engage the pin (or whatever it is called) I was able to shift the car in reverse and back up about 5 feet. I then shifted it into drive and moved it forward about 5 five feet. Thanks again. I apologize for the low quality video but I had to compress and trim it.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'm here to help get your problem solved.

Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

Do the brake lights work? Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hello Dan yes they do.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The brake lights do work.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

This usually means the shifter assembly needs to be replaced which contains the shift interlock solenoid. At the solenoid, check the wires as follows: Black wire is a ground. There will be battery voltage on the Yellow/Brown wire with the key on. The Purple wire will get 12 volts when stepping on the brake to release the solenoid. If all the wires test OK, replace the solenoid which at this time is serviced as part of the shifter assembly. Let me know how it goes or if you have more questions, thanks.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
What tools would you suggest I use to make the repair?
Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

I basic tool set should work fine. Do you have column shifter or center console shifter? I can give replacement instructions.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
center console shifter
Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

Here are replacement instructions, let me know if you have questions. Thanks.

-

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7bbw839e60tr86d/shifter1.pdf?dl=0

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Should I test the wires before I install the new shift assembly? If so, what tools would I need to do that?
Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

You will need a multimeter which you can buy from parts store for about $15. Let me know if you have more questions, thanks.