Joshua Haynes
Joshua Haynes,
Experience:  Lead Technician/ Manager at Precision Tune Auto Care
93804480

No crank no start. thought it was the battery...put a new

Customer Question

no crank no start. thought it was the battery...put a new one in worked fine then coar just did it again. when i turned off car the battery said it was at 14.6 volt when i went to start it it says 12.2 and wont make a sound when i turn the key. if i jumo the car it will start and sometimes if i wait awhile it will start
JA: Can you turn the steering wheel at all? And what about the key? Is it worn or damaged?
Customer: its a 2005 cts i can turn the wheel
JA: Are you fixing your Volt yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: just the battery and a friend replaced some kind of fuse or swaped two out to see if it was the fuse or transiter ?
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: nope
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Joshua Haynes replied 1 month ago.

hi, my name is ***** ***** I will assist you. The first thing to check would be the battery terminal connections for tightness and cleanliness.

A loose or corroded battery terminal will cause the car not to start but allow all the lights and most other electrical accessories to function properly because it requires much more amperage to start a car than to run the other accessories.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
They are fine just replaced battery yesterday

Gotcha. Are you saying that when jump starting, it doesn't always work?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It will work when I jump it

ok, thanks. What size engine do you have?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
3.6
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Now it just started.

ok, it sounds like your starter motor is failing. If you have a test light or a multimeter I can tell you how to test it.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok I'll check

To test the signal to the starter, you will put your test light on a good solid ground (I suggest testing the other end against the positive terminal of the battery to make sure it lights up) and then probe the small wire going to the starter, this is the signal wire to the starter. Then you will have someone try to start the car...if the test light illuminates but the car does not start, you have a bad starter motor. If the test light does not illuminate, you have a signal problem. The starter is on the driver's side rear of the engine behind the air conditioning compressor. I have attached a picture

Hi, this is Josh checking in to see if you have had a chance to test the starter signal.

Hi, this is Josh checking in to see if you still needed help. I also wanted to remind you to please take a moment and rate my answer; this is the only way that we are compensated as experts.

Hi, it's Josh again checking in to see if you still need any help. If so, please don't hesitate to ask and if not, please take a moment to rate my answer. Thanks!