Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician
Experience:  25 years of experience, Certified Subaru Technician and Nissan factory trained.

On hot days, at stop lights or creeping rush hour traffic

Customer Question

on hot days, at stop lights or creeping rush hour traffic the AC stops blowing cold air and the interior heats up, AC resumes once speed picks up
JA: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?
Customer: traffic/stop and go lights
JA: What is the model/year of your Cadillac?
Customer: 2011 CTS
JA: Are you fixing your CTS yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: have not tried anything by myself, local shop cannot get the car to duplicate the problem because the outside temperature is not hot enough
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 3 days ago.
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 days ago.

Hello and thank you for your question!
My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you with your question today.

Expert:  Mike V. replied 3 days ago.

Sometimes this can be the result of the cooling fans not coming on or not coming on at high speed. When this happens the pressure will build up from the freon and the pressure switch will turn the compressor off. Then once you are cruising again, the air flow is better and the freon pressure drops and it allows the compressor to come back on.

I have also seen this happen if the cooling fins on the radiator and a/c condenser are full of dirt.

Have them check these as possible culprits.

Please let me know what more I can do to assist you today. Also, please remember to rate my answer, Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources. Follow up questions are included in the price of your question. If you are using the free trial, or have a subscription a rating is still required.
Thank you so much!

Expert:  Mike V. replied 6 hours ago.

Do you need further assistance with this?