sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience

Backfiring and smoke coming out of tailpipes, loose engine

Customer Question

Backfiring and white smoke coming out of tailpipes, loose engine power, 2009 Cadillac STS, smells of gas
Submitted: 6 days ago.
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  david craig replied 6 days ago.

Hi Im David. with those symptoms, it sounds like a timing issue. fault codes will need to be pulled from the computer before anything else.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
I'm being told that I need to have 2,000.00 worth of work done because they have to tear down the passenger side of the engine and replace everything..fuel injection system

Dont fall for that. ask them what fault codes were found. ask them if they checked the injectors for pulse. ansk the if they did a compression test. before you let them do anything.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
I'll ask them this morning and get back to you

ok. because certain thing need to be tested before they start ripping apart the engine.

Expert:  david craig replied 5 days ago.

do you still need assistance?

Expert:  david craig replied 3 days ago.

Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 22 hours ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

The white smoke from the tailpipe is almost surely from unburned fuel if you also have a fuel smell. Burning coolant would produce white smoke but if you're smelling fuel I don't think that's the case.

If you have enough fuel leaving unburned then you have an injector that's stuck on, whether it's a mechanical failure of the injector, a shorted injector driver circuit in the harness or a driver stuck on in the powertrain control module. Were you ever able to find out what fault codes were setting, or the actual repair that was recommended?