Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Cadillac Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification

The motor for rear hatch keeps getting damaged by water.

Customer Question

The motor for rear hatch keeps getting damaged by water. Dealer stated they cannot find where water is coming from. This is third time same problem. Each time costs 1500 dollars to repair
JA: How many miles are on the car? Is it an automatic or a manual transmission?
Customer: Automatic. After researching problem on line I'm thinking the water is getting in thru rear sunroof drain tubes being clogged. Is this possible?
JA: What is the model/year of your Cadillac?
Customer: 2010 srx
JA: Are you fixing your SRX yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No the dealer has fixed both times. This time they're scaring me with repair costs, because they claim they can't tell how water is getting in? Which as a Cadillac dealer, I can't believe their mechanics have not researched this problem .
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Yes, don't auto repair mechanics have access to informational bulletins for repairs to common and reaccurring problems of the vehicles they work on?
Submitted: 10 days ago.
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 10 days ago.

Hi, My Name is ***** ***** for posting your question to just answer. I am a independent contractor for just answer. ASE Certified Master Auto Technician with 20 years experience. I am confident we can resolve your problem together.Please remember I don't know your skill level. I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies to get to a satisfactory resolution.There will probably be some equipment needed for a proper diagnosis. If you are not comfortable with this or do not have any test equipment please let me know ASAP. I also give you all of the information you may need in good faith expecting a positive rating. I am not compensated for my time until you leave a positive rating. Your rating should be based on the service you received.

1st step of water leaks is always to make sure the sunroofs drain (if equipped). Open the sunroofs and locate the drains. You should be able to run a small wire through them. Mechanics wire works well. DO not force as you could disconnect drain.