Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Cadillac Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification

Had a rear lift gate issue with it not opening. I just

Customer Question

Had a rear lift gate issue with it not opening. I just replaced the latch module. It closed with the button, but now the actuator will not unlock.
JA: Is this your first time dealing with this issue?
Customer: Yes as far as the lock.
JA: What is the model/year of your Cadillac?
Customer: 08 escalade esv
JA: Are you fixing your Escalade ESV yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes - I replaced the liftgate latch actuator module.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Is there a way to manually unlock tailgate. It won't unlock to open the tailgate.
Submitted: 6 days ago.
Category: Cadillac
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
I have done more troubleshooting and was able to get the back panel off and get the latch to release.
I thought I had a bad part, so I took the new one out & put the old one back in. It now does not release the latch & the gate won't open.
Is there some kind of reprogramming that needs to be done?I will put the new part back in and wait for your reply.Thanks
Expert:  Ryan Schott replied 6 days ago.

If you replaced the module then yes it does require programming. I would call around to a few GM dealers any GMC buick chevy or caddy dealer can reprogram it and what their base charge is can vary a lot. How did you decide the module was bad?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
The liftgate would not open , but you could hear the gears moving. The door would not release. I put it in manual with console switch and the liftgate would open. So I researched the problem which led me to the latch module. Now I have the current situation with the latch not releasing. The struts are good , when I do get it open with new part the tailgate closes, with the old part it does not close.
Expert:  Ryan Schott replied 5 days ago.

can yous send me your vin and build date as well as the part number you replaced, there are a couple bulletins on part redesigns and application from 07-09 models

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Attached pictures

ok so your good there. That is just a latch not the module so you wont need to program it. If it is still inop Start by hooking a testlight to the brown wire on the latch connector and to ground then using the interior switch command it open and see if the testlight lights up

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Testlight did not light when connected to brown lead.
Expert:  Ryan Schott replied 4 days ago.

ok so above the headliner near the middle there will be a gray 22 pin connector (2 rows of 11) there there is onlyone brown wire in it, unplug it and the latch and ohm the brown wire end to end check for <5 ohms. also towards the passengerside where the harness goes through the roof check the wire there for having rubbed through.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
OK will work on that. I just had the 3 battery cables replaced about a month ago along with the starter. The truck would not start, said the resistance was bad. Would something like that cause my issue?

not likely, he probably found too much voltage drop in the cables it can cause some weird anomalies but if they were replaced you should be fine there. make sure to check where the wires go throught the metal from inside because where they come out at the boot to the liftgate is a different layer its usually the inner one they rub on.