EricFromCT, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master certified L1, L2, Diesel Certified 16 years experience

2006 SRX, battery is dead, doors are locked, is it possible

Customer Question

2006 SRX, battery is dead, doors are locked, is it possible to open the hood from the outside?
JA: Did you test the battery with a voltmeter? And have you ever changed one before?
Customer: We can't get the hood open and the keys are locked inside. So with the dead battery I can't get inside.
JA: Are you fixing your SRX yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I just want to try and open the hood to maybe put jumper cables on and get some power so the key fob can unlock the doors. It's a repo here at the credit union and I'm trying to show it to someone. Yes I know, I shouldn't be working on the Lord's day.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not really. Just the key is locked inside, dead battery, extra key fob outside, so I thought maybe if we can get the hood open we could get some power to it inorder to open the doors. Any cost to this service? I've never seen it before.
Submitted: 10 days ago.
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 10 days ago.

Hi. THere is not way to open the hood from the outside. You need to use something like a wedge shaped piece of wood and put it in the top of the door to pull it away from the vehicle. Just enough so you can slip something in there to pull the interior door release handle. They do sell kits to do this. Most tow truck drivers have them. The other option is to give the VIN to a dealer or locksmith and see if they can make you a new key for he door. Those are about the only options to get into that vehicle.

Expert:  EricFromCT replied 4 days ago.

I see you viewed my response to your question. Thanks for using Just Answer and please rate the assistance provided. After rating, the questions stays open for any follow up questions you may have. Thank you.