Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

I've got a 1998 cadillac deville that I wrecked and had

Customer Question

I've got a 1998 cadillac deville that I wrecked and had fixed. The transmission will not reverse and will run forward when in reverse gear. Any fix to that or will it have to be replaced? Also If it does have to be replaced I've found one but it is a vin 9 and mine is a vin Y will that do or will there have to be a lot more changes in order to make work? The vin 9 transmission is from a similar cadillac, same year and model just different vins.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Eric replied 1 month ago.

HI,

Yes, the transmission will bolt up and work fine and wont need any programming. The difference between the y and 9 vins are in the engine configuration and horsepower it produces, not the transmission or the engine to transmission bolt pattern

Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT today.
Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better.
All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating

Expert:  Eric replied 1 month ago.

I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.

~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?
~Need more detail or a different explanation?

If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.

If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page.

Please note that if you have a subscription service, you still are required to rate service, however you are not charged again. This is just so that your expert is credited for their time and services. Thank you.