sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience

07 CTS has a gargling sound coming from the dashboard

Customer Question

07 CTS has a gargling sound coming from the dashboard area-is it the Actuator Mode valve and do you have to remove the dash to fix it?
JA: How long has this been going on?
Customer: On and off, I thought I had it fixted last month when the replaced the lower Actuator they now say the upper actuator needs replacing. Sound fishie to me!
JA: Are you fixing your CTS yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No a repair shop I have been working with has looked at it and they are the ones that were supposed to have fixed it last month
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: NO
Submitted: 10 days ago.
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  david craig replied 10 days ago.

Hi Im David, allow me a moment to look up some info for you. thanks

In general, a gargling dashboard means the heater core is only partially full of coolant. It gargles as it refills with fluid. A coolant leak causes the physical coolant level throughout the system to go down in unison. So a leak anywhere in the system equalizes so that the coolant levels are at the same height from the ground. Low enough coolant level leaves air in the heater core as well as anywhere else above that level to have air.

You start the car and the water pump starts pushing the air out of the system and refilling it with coolant.

That is general to all cars. Check your coolant reservoir under the hood in front of the driver. It should be low. If it is, look for the leak. If its full, disregard the above.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Does the XTS have an upper and lower activator mode calve?

there are 4 or 5 actuators on the car. if there is a problem with an actuator it wont cause a gurgling noise.

do you have a smell of antifreeze inside of the vehicle at all?

Expert:  david craig replied 8 days ago.

checking in to see how its going

Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 5 days ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

As mentioned, if you're hearing a gurgling noise from the dash that's because of air in the heater core. It's possible that you could need an actuator on the heater box but if the noise is being accurately described an actuator isn't going to repair it. The coolant level needs to be checked and topped off, the cooling system bled, and then checked for leaks.