Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Cadillac Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification
11042942

My 09 Esacalde Hybrid won't start or crank. Everything seems

Customer Question

My 09 Esacalde Hybrid won't start or crank. Everything seems to die once I turn the key. Then once I release the key everything lights back up. I tested the battery. Should I start with alternator or starter first?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  David Gieswein replied 1 month ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I can help. Have you removed the battery terminals and cleaned them yet? I was working on a vehicle the other day that wouldn't start. I found corrosion between the terminals and posts.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
they are clean.

Do you have a set of jumper cables?

You might have a bad ground. You can use the jumper cables to add an additional good ground to say the engine block or chassis.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I tried to jump it no luck there and charter the battery for a hour. Still no action.

Jumping the battery isn't going to help. You need to hook one end of the jumpers to battery negative and hook the other end to the engine block. You must find a good non painted surface on the engine to attach the cable to. Leave the positive leads not hooked up to anything. Try this and get back with me.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
That still didn't work. It still won't start or click.

Have you tried to put power directly to the starter solenoid and see if it cranks?