Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Cadillac Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Cadillac Diagnostics
18617752
Cadillac

There was trouble with Cadillac 3.6 litre timing chains, I

there was trouble with Cadillac... Show More
there was trouble with Cadillac 3.6 litre timing chains
JA: Do you know your ignition timing number? How many miles are on the car?
Customer: I don,t know the . timing number. There are 169000 km on the car
JA: What is the model/year of your Cadillac?
Customer: I was thinking of buying a 2006 CTS
JA: Are you fixing your CTS yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I am thinking of buying the car, I just heard these cars have had timing chain problems
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Cadillac
replied 3 months ago.

Hi! Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm Ron Z and I'll be helping you with your question today.

Unfortunately, the 2006 CTS with the 3.6L engine was in fact affected by the timing chain issue. This is an extremely well-known issue. GM has issued a technical service bulletin that states the problem can be loose timing chains or tensioners or the reluctor for the crankshaft sensor pressed on the crankshaft may have moved. When this is the case, the Check Engine Light will be set with two or more of the following DTCs: P0016, P0017, P0018, P0019, P0008 or P0009. Unfortunately, this is a major repair. Might be a good idea to stay away from this vehicle. Please remember to leave a rating using the 'stars' or click 'Accept'. A 5-star rating is much appreciated! Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra.

Ron Z., - Cadillac Tech - replied 3 months ago.

Hi! I noticed this thread was still open, so I wanted to check in and see if there was anything else I could do for you on this issue? Any other questions you had? Was there something you wanted addressed that I may have missed in my answer? Did you find my answer helpful and informative?