TODD RUZICKA
TODD RUZICKA,
Experience:  Service Consultant at Main Motor Chevrolet
95998009

The driver seat control only moves the seat in one

Customer Question

the driver seat control only moves the seat in one direction. forward
JA: What is the model/year of your Cadillac?
Customer: 1992 coupe deville
JA: Are you fixing your DeVille yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: just started to research. It is my mother's car.
JA: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?
Customer: yes and yes
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  TODD RUZICKA replied 5 months ago.

Hi and thank you for the question! I am sorry you are having this issue and I'll do my best to help you. My name is***** sounds to me you have one of two issues. First the power seat switch may be shorted or you may have a faulty seat motor that is not recognizing the change in polarity to make the seat motor turn the opposite direction.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
how to I tell which is the faulty item
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
how do i remove the panel and test it?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
how I remove he motor and test it?

All good questions. I would recommend bringing this to the dealer and have them diagnose it. Once they do and tell you which item is the fault, you can then buy the part yourself and replace it. Unless you have some good electrical background to test the polarity of the motor and switch assemblies, I'd recommend having the dealer diagnose it for you. I really hope tis information helps.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have a technical background just not in automotive. How would you test the motor and switch panel?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Is the door panel easily removed?

With a volt meter, you'll have to remove the door panel and test the switch for power and ground inputs and outputs while the switch is activated. If you go to your local library, the directions to remove the door panel can be found in the shop manuals most libraries have. I'm sorry I do not have access to these manuals.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Is the panel screwed on or does it use the push on fasteners.

It actually uses both. If you remove the drivers window switch assembly, there are two or three screws under it. then push clips to hold the door panel on. Simply pull the door panel off with a little finesse. Check the bottom o the door panel for screws as well.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Does the seat control ever have a loose cable connection? Or is it more likely to be a failing part?

Sounds more like a faulty / shorted part. A loose connection will not cause this type of failure.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Do you have the part number for the control panel and motor?Any suggestion on how to find the items? GM has already shared on a dashboard climate control it was no longer available. I am concerned these electrical items may not be available either.

I do not have the part numbers, but even if the parts are discontinued, any GM dealer can still give you the part numbers.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Any suggestion on a source for discontinued items?

Oh yes. If you get the part number, simply Google the number. You'll get numerous facilities that have the part you need.