Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Cadillac Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification

I get service stability system and service brake system once

Customer Question

I get service stability system and service brake system once in a while. I also notice sometimes when I push on my brakes they feel like a sponge. I have new brakes. How expensive is this to repair
Submitted: 17 days ago.
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Jared D replied 17 days ago.

The cost to repair something like this really depends on what is going wrong. If you are getting a fault message on the dash then there is likely a fault code stored in the vehicle's computer that will indicate which system is triggering the message. From there you can tell what system might be malfunctioning. Without knowing the fault code it's really hard to say, but if the ABS control module is bad then it could run around $1200 to replace. If the problem is just a bad master cylinder (which usually causes spongy brakes) then it would only be around $300 to replace and bleed the system. However, a bad master cylinder rarely sets off the service stability message.

Do you have the capability to have the vehicle scanned for trouble codes?