sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience

When I crank it up there is a loud tapping sound. It would

Customer Question

when I crank it up there is a loud tapping sound. It would stop when I wait and let the motor idle for about a minute or two. Now it has gotten worst, it only stop when I drive off down the road. I check the oil and it was ok. I don't know what to do next.
JA: When was your last oil change?
Customer: About three weeks ago. I change oil every 1500 miles or every five to six weeks which ever comes first.
JA: What is the model/year of your Cadillac?
Customer: 2003 escalade esv
JA: Are you fixing your Escalade ESV yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have not tried anything yet. I don't trust the shops here because I got beat before and I want to have some idea what is going on before I take it to the shop. Do you know of any honest shops in Miami, florida.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I take very good care of my car and I stay on top of the maintance.
Submitted: 23 days ago.
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 22 days ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

There are quite a few things you could be hearing. ts possible that you're actually hearing an exhaust leak, a cracked or leaking exhaust manifold can make a ticking noise that sounds very similar to a lifter

It's also possible that the noise is coming from inside the engine, wither it's timing chain related, a lifter, wristpin, rod bearing, piston slap, etc. Piston slap isn't uncommon and usually doesn't result in any damage.

Do you have a scan tool to kill cylinders to see if the noise changes?