TODD RUZICKA
TODD RUZICKA,
Experience:  Service Consultant at Main Motor Chevrolet
95998009

2004 Cadillac deVille, the air conditioner works fine when

Customer Question

2004 Cadillac deVille, the air conditioner works fine when it is set to foot and dash vents but when you select dash only there is a loud clicking noise like a door is not closing or something is trying to close the door and it isn't
JA: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?
Customer: Started just a couple months ago. Sound is coming from just above or behind the ac control panel
JA: Are you fixing your DeVille yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Fixing myself for a friend living on a fixed income. I think the HVAC actuator door controller is the problem.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Just need to find out the best way to get to the motor and if any special tools are necessary.
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  TODD RUZICKA replied 2 months ago.

Hi and thank you for the question. I'm sorry to hear you are having this issue. From what you are describing, the mode door actuator is binding. Hopefully it not the actual door in the HVAC case. This is normally not the case. It's usually the actuator binding. I will look up some procedures on how to replace it. I'll be right back with you ok?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The actuator seems to be working correctly because the airflow does change with the mode, when you select the dash vent mode ti actuator sounds like it doesn't know when to stop.

Yes, that is precisely what is occuring. I found the replacement diagram and my worst fears were confirmed. Unfortunately, in order the even get to this actuator and test it or replace it, the entire dash assembly will need to be removed. This is a very large job even for a professional.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I think he will have to bite the bullet, any idea on the number of hours required by a professional?

I would estimate 8-10 hours of labor. Meaning, well over $1000 dollars depending on where the repairs are performed.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Only one more question, are special tools required?

Not particularly special tools, but a lot of them unfortunately. I tried to connect to your phone call request, however, it stated the payment failed...?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Not a problem, thanks for the information.

You're welcome. Please let me know if I may help you in the future.