Ask Don 'Mo Lurch' Your Own Que...
Don 'Mo Lurch'
Don 'Mo Lurch', Cadillac Technician
Experience:  GM, Cadillac Cert., Heavy Line Mech, Race Shop Owner, Mobile Electronics.
1609972

I tried to repogram a second fob and now the first is not

Customer Question

Hello I tried to repogram a second fob and now the first is not working
JA: Have you checked the fob's battery?
Customer: yeah at least the first one is ok it was working this morning it stopped working after I tried to reprogram a second key
JA: What is the model/year of your Cadillac?
Customer: 2010 SRX
JA: Are you fixing your SRX yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yeah all I need is to program the key
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I tried this http://freeremoteinstructions.com/cadillac/cadillac-srx-2010-2011/ I lost the original Key so I did the " No working keys" to try and repogram a second key I found that did not work... by doing that I think I erased the original key that I found later
Category: Cadillac
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
my correct email is***@******.***
Expert:  Don 'Mo Lurch' replied 8 months ago.

Was this a New (unused/ unprogrammed) FOB?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
both of them were the original car keys.... they were programmed to this car
I lost the first key so I tried to use the second and it didnt work... then I tried erasing all keys to program the second one and that didnt work.... then I found the first one and of course is not linked to the car... so I followed the procedure to link it again to no avail
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
the car says " REady for remote #1" and then I place the FOB inside the storage compartment and nothing happens... the display just goes black.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
If try to restart the process by using the key on the door 5 times I get the same thing " REady for remote 1" with the key in the storage compartment....I press the start button on the car and I little pairing icon apears then the display goes black again

With a "fully charged Battery", you followed these instructions :

Replacing Keys (Without SPS)

Note:
This procedure will unlearn all previously learned keys. All keys that are to be programmed must be with the vehicle.
This procedure will take approximately 30 minutes to complete.
A total of 8 keys maybe be learned to a single vehicle.
This procedure will only learn the vehicle key information. This procedure will not learn any immobilizer information between the body control module (BCM) and engine control module (ECM).
This procedure may be used with or without existing learned keys being present. If existing keys are present, keep the keys away from the vicinity of the vehicle. Failure to keep learned keys away from the vehicle will result in the learn changing to the Adding Keys procedure.
The keys to be learned must duplicate the mechanical cut of the current key.
Insert the mechanical key of the new transmitter into the key lock cylinder located on the outside of the driver door and turn the key to the unlock position five times within ten seconds. The Driver Information Center (DIC) will display Remote Learn Pending, Please Wait.
After ten minutes, the DIC will display Press Engine Start Button To Learn. Press the ignition mode switch. The DIC will again display Remote Learn Pending, Please Wait.
Repeat Step 2 two additional times, for a total of thirty minutes. All previously known keys have now been unlearned. Remaining keys can be relearned during the next steps. The DIC display will now display Ready For Remote # 1.
Note: The key pocket is located inside the center console storage area. The key must be placed flat in the pocket with the buttons facing up and the key ring at the rear. If a large key ring prevents the key from laying flat in the pocket, remove the key ring and place the key in the pocket. Failure to position the key flat in the pocket will result in an inability to program.

Place the new key into the key pocket.
Press the ignition mode switch. When the key is learned the DIC will indicate that it is ready to program the next key.
Remove the key from the key pocket and press the unlock button. To program additional transmitters, repeat Steps 4 through 6.
When all additional transmitters are programmed, press and hold the ignition mode switch for 5 seconds to exit programming mode.

.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I am assuming I can re-link the original keys to the same car right ? how long do I need to wait for the 1st FOB to be learned ?

I was enquiring if you used that method...........
Problem with this year Cadillac, is once the FOBs are erased, you cannot "Program" a Used FOB to the vehicle using this method
So these would be considered Used
Use of GM Dealer Scan Tool would be needed to Program
apprx 1 hour labor

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I see.... but I least I would not need to but new FOBs right thanks

correct.....

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
If I buy a new key from parts.com wil I be able to use the method you described ? That will save the tow truck and dealer labor fee

IF you are sure the vehicle is not in Security mode, yes you should be able to Program another using the Programming Method

Replacing Keys

Replacing Keys (Without SPS)

Note:

Place the new key into the key pocket.

.

It may be cheaper for tow, as the Remote with Remote Start is apprx $192.00 & the one without is apprx $140.00

.

Expert:  Don 'Mo Lurch' replied 7 months ago.

Did you have any other questions?
I see you have viewed my reply but have not selected a rating.
Rating does not incur any additional costs, it simply allows me to be compensated for my time here.
It also does not close the question, you can follow up at any time.
Thank you.