Chris (aka- Moose), Cadillac Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience

Driver side low beam went out. replaced with new bulb and

Customer Question

driver side low beam went out. replaced with new bulb and new ballast. Now low beam goes on occasionally while on auto setting. If I move control to manual - light goes on and will stay on till car shut down ?? High beam not effected at all - works all the time...
JA: Have you checked the bulbs and fuses?
Customer: yes
JA: What is the make/model/year of your car?
Customer: 2010 caddy cts
JA: Are you fixing your CTS yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No local shop did repair work but admits he is puzzled
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: the fog lights were also aftermarket but tech says has nothing to do with problem ?? They work fine also
Submitted: 30 days ago.
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 29 days ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose) I prefer to work when others don't, I am here around lunch and after dinner till after midnight.

• Sorry no one has helped yet.
  • This is not an answer to your question, just an inquiry if your still needing/wanting help. Because I believe I can help.
Customer: replied 29 days ago.

Yes. matter of fact - the passenger side headlight doing same thing now -- first time it;s happened to passenger side ???? LIKE PROBLEM IS SPREADING..

Okay let me make sure I understand.

1. Your not planning to diagnose or fix this yourself?
  2. Only the low beams are effected?
  3. The headlights turned on manually, no issues?
  4. With the headlights on auto setting where they come on automatically when it gets dark outside the low beams mess up?
  5. Does the vehicle have daytime running lights?
Customer: replied 29 days ago.

you are correct in all of the above.. vehicle does have daytime running lights

This rules out the fuses, headlight wiring from the fuses to the headlights, head light ground, bulbs, ballasts, and low beam relay. The DRLs are different bulbs so they are not to blame as well. The body control module needs to be monitored with a scan tool to see if its getting a signal to turn the head lights on and off with the headlights in auto setting.

The low beams are powered from the relay and fuses the exact same way in manual and auto setting. The BCM controls the relay. It seems very off for you to have intermittent low beam issues not effecting both the left and right low beams at the same time since they are powered from the same place and using manual fixes the problem.

This is my 1st answer, but does not have to be my only answer. You the website and myself expect you to have a ~~~5 STAR EXCELLENT~~~ experience with my help. Please let me know if you are pleased by selecting a star rating above or by replying and saying your pleased. Not rating or rating 1-2 stars does not benefit you nor me in any way. Follow up and reply as often and when needed, there is no extra charge to do so.

Thanks Moose.

Customer: replied 29 days ago.

I will discuss with repair shop and get back to you. Is this scan tool found in repair shops or is this a dealership situation

All dealerships have the tool and some independent shops do.

Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 24 days ago.

Hello again Chris here,

• I am following up with you to see if you got everything you needed from my answer.
  • I have not heard back from you, so I assume you were not pleased. We're you pleased with my help?
  • If you were not pleased with my help, please let me know by replying so I can help more.
  • This post is coming up on the 7 day mark where it times out. When a post times out, that means it's no longer on my active list (you reply and I may never know it.)

Thanks Chris