Experience:  Service Consultant at Main Motor Chevrolet

Having problem with my CTS Cadillac starting, Brand new

Customer Question

Having problem with my CTS Cadillac starting
JA: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?
Customer: Brand new battery replace was having problem start after I got a battery resolve the problem . Have same problem sometime
JA: What year is your CTS?
Customer: 2006
JA: Are you fixing your CTS yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Replace the battery
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Air bag lite was coming on sometime took to the dealer was recall start thinking bad ignition switch .
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  TODD RUZICKA replied 1 month ago.

Hi and thank you for your question. I'm sorry you are having this issue. I'll do my best to help. If I read correctly, you are having trouble starting the vehicle even after replacing the battery, is that correct? Can you explain to me exactly what you are experiencing?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Sometime I get in my car try to start it won't turn the key and get a click try again may not get nothing. Wait for a little while may start.

I see. Sometimes it will not start. When this occurs, you get a click from the engine area. Does it seem to have all electrical power? Are the dash lights coming on normally when this occurs?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.

OK, it sounds like your starter is the issue. Sometimes starters can get a flat spot or looseness in the brushes which cause it to fail electronically and not push the engagement gear all the way out, or it goes out to engage the flywheel but because of the weak / open circuit, it will not turn. Thus not turning the engine over. When this occurs, you may just hear one click noise. That's the starter engaging the flywheel but not spinning. I feel confident if you replace your starter, your issue will be resolved. The way you can test this at home is, when this occurs, have someone inside the vehicle and turn the ignition to start. When one click is heard with the engine not turning over, have them hold the key in the start position. Then you or someone else would need to crawl under the vehicle and tap the starter with a hammer. Not too gently either. Smack it pretty good. You can't hurt it, don't worry. If the vehicle immediately starts when you hit it, you know for sure it's the starter. I'm very confident this is your issue.