KALAMYKID
KALAMYKID, Shop Owner/ Tech
Experience:  I HAVE OWNED MY OWN SHOP FOR OVER THREE YEARS. I HAVE THE TOOLS AND SOFTWARE TO ANSWERE ALMOST ANY Q
5629372

I have a 1996 Cadillac STS VIN 1G6KY5297TU805925. The

Customer Question

Hi, I have a 1996 Cadillac STS VIN 1G6KY5297TU805925. The transmission only shifts into 1 and 2 gear. The car's sticker says that it was manufactured in Sep 1995. I am trying to establish the Julian date of manufacture for the transmission in order to ensure that my mechanic orders the proper parts per bulletin 77-71-73.
JA: How old is the transmission? Have you noticed any leaking?
Customer: No leaking. Transmission is the original one. Replaced the cooling lines for all oils. Everything was fine and then it would just not shift into 3-overdrive. One option, depending on the Julian date is a repair kit P/N 24211355. After the Julian date of 047 the option is just the solenoids.
JA: Are you fixing your STS yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No, this is my mechanic. Not tried anything, just establishing the date of the transmission to order the right part.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: That is all.
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  KALAMYKID replied 2 months ago.

To find the production date on the transmission, look on the passenger side of the car on the transmission closest to the fire wall, just back past the end of the transmission where the axle goes into the trans. There is a tag that will have the code line on it. Below is a diagram of its location. this tag will tell us when the transmission was built.