Pete, Cadillac Technician
Experience:  17 years Cadillac experience as a technician.

My car won't crank. how do i disable anti theft system on my

Customer Question

my car won't crank. how do i disable anti theft system on my 2005 srx cadillac
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Pete replied 1 month ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Is the security/theft light flashing or staying on solid after you try and start the vehicle and release the key?It may look like a picture of a car with a lock across it.

Have you tried more then one key?

Let me know,thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
it stays solid; two keys; In order to get the key out i need to push the botton under the steiring wheel
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
hey Pete
I sent you the info you asked over a hour ago. I haven't got a response yet. Did you forget about me?
Thanks Ron
Expert:  Pete replied 1 month ago.

I apologize for the delay as I had to step out unexpectedly.

Is the issue with pushing the button occuring or did it occur at the same time the security/no start issue occurred?

Has the battery been checked at all?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
At the same time the security / no start issue occurred.
It is a brand new battery
Expert:  Pete replied 1 month ago.

O.k.,this doesnt sound like a security component at fault here as the key would turn off and be able to be removed if it was.The security system only disables the starting but wont keep the key from being removed.

What will cause this is an internal electrical fault with the electronic ignition switch as I have seen this fail before in the past to where it fails to send a signal to allow the key to be released.I would have the signals checked with a compatible scan tool that can plug in and communicate with all computers to see if all signals are present with the switch to see if it needs replaced.

The other common fault is the park solenoid at the shifter.There is an electrical solenoid that activates when in park to allow the key to be removed.It also can disable starting of the engine if it doesnt think it is in park when this solenoid acts up.

These need to be checked into/tested further one observing ignition switch data on a scan tool and the other activating and observing the solenoid data on a scan tool to see which is the cause here.

In some cases you can push hard into park or shift in and out of park a few times and if it is the solenoid at fault the car will usually start and key removed but this doesnt work all of the time unfortunately.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
If it is not the anti theft system, why does the display say service theft system?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
If it is the park solenoid where is it located?
Expert:  Pete replied 1 month ago.

If your display does show service theft system then this can indicate the theft system is engaged.Usually this wont cause the key to stick in the ignition but the ignition switch can cause the theft system to engage as well as keep the key from being removed.I would have the ignition switch checked/tested to see if it needs replaced.The park solenoid will not cause the service theft system message here.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here as this is how I receive credit for my time.Your 5 star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete