Pete, Cadillac Technician
Experience:  17 years Cadillac experience as a technician.
14928985

It is as if I am breaking into my own car. Little lock light

Customer Question

It is as if I am breaking into my own car. Little lock light is on and it won't let the key go.
JA: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?
Customer: It is a little car with s lock through it
JA: What is the model/year of your Cadillac?
Customer: 2005 SRX
JA: Are you fixing your SRX yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I thought it was the battery at first so I changed it. But after a week of not using it it is doing this again. I have the battery charger on now. The battery is strong.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Just that it has my keys and won't let them go and it is locking me in.
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

One of the more common causes besides a weak battery or corroded battery cables that will cause the theft issue here as well as the key being stuck in the ignition is an issue with the electronic ignition switch itself.One or more of the contacts can fail in this switch and act up causing this issue here with the switch needing replaced.

The fault codes need checked in the PCM and BCM computers on this model here using a scan tool that will plug in and communicate with these computers to see what codes are set.If any codes are set this will help diagnose and locate this issue here.The signals from the ignition switch are also checked with a scan tool that can read the PCM and BCM data lists as well as a multi meter.If you have not had this switch tested this needs done.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete