Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  34 year as an ASE Tech
7276279

My 2001 STS Stability light is own. Can you tell me the

Customer Question

My 2001 STS Stability light is own. Can you tell me the problem and how can I stop it from coming on?
JA: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?
Customer: On the screen it keeps saying service Stability system and it makes a bing sound.
JA: Are you fixing your STS yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I am not. I am looking to sell it. It run great.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Ron replied 7 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Justanswer. Thank you for your question and I will assist you with your concern.

The stability light comes on when the system sees a fault and when this happens the computer will detect it and set and store a fault code and or codes. In order to be able to determine the cause you are going to need to start first with having the system scanned and the fault code and or codes retrieved. If you can get this done and post back with the scan results I can advise you as to what needs to be repaired to resolve this for you.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Can you give me an ideals of what could cause this. I am selling the car.
Expert:  Ron replied 7 months ago.

One of the most common cause can be due to a failing wheel speed sensor but unfortunately with out know the fault code it would be hard to say for sure.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I use to be able to clear it by holding down some buttons but I forgot how to do it. Can you tell me how to do that.
Expert:  Ron replied 7 months ago.

You can clear any fault codes and light by disconnecting the negative battery cable for a few minutes. If after doing this and the light returns then this means the system is seeing a hard fault and it will need to be addressed from there starting with the code scan.