Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.

My 1999 Deville is not starting. When I turn the key, a

Customer Question

My 1999 Deville is not starting. When I turn the key, a prompt comes up on my info screen that says ignition disabled, remove key. What do I do??
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Eric replied 1 month ago.

Ok, this message comes up when the immobilizer control module gets an incorrect resistance reading from the key. Wait 3 minutes and then try to start vehicle. If the message comes up again, then you need to do the 30 minute relearn procedure below

30minute GM relearn procedure:

1-Turn ON the ignition,with the engine OFF.

2-Attemptto start the engine,then release the key to ON (vehicle will not start).

3-Observe the SECURITY telltale(this is the security light), after approximately 10minutes the telltale will turn OFF.

4-Turn OFF the ignition, and wait 5 seconds .

5-Repeat steps 1through 4 two more times for a total of 3 cycles/30 minutes(the vehicle is now ready to relearn the Passlock(TM) Sensor DataCode and/or passwords on the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK). IMPORTANT: The vehicle learns the Passlock(TM)Sensor Data Code and/or password ***** the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK. You must turn the ignition OFF before attempting to start the vehicle.

6-Start the engine(the vehicle has now learned the Passlock(TM) Sensor Data Code and/or password).

Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT today.
Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better.
All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It did not work. Now when I turn the key, I get absolutely nothing. No info lights, nothing.
Expert:  Eric replied 1 month ago.

Do you have a voltmeter to check the battery voltage?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No, I do not. The battery is 3 years old. I'm beginning to wonder if it is my problem. When I did the 30 minute restart sequence, after the third time it seemed the battery was dead. My dash lights were very dim.
Expert:  Eric replied 1 month ago.

Based upon symptoms, I would say your battery is weak. If you have a battery charger, you need to charge it. If not, you can remove the battery and take it in to a parts store and they will charge it for you.

Once reinstalled, you will still need to do the 30 minute relearn procedure

Expert:  Eric replied 1 month ago.

I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.

~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?
~Need more detail or a different explanation?

If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.

If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page.

Please note that if you have a subscription service, you still are required to rate service, however you are not charged again. This is just so that your expert is credited for their time and services. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I just put in a new battery. I did the 3 step thing again, but I am not sure if I did it right. I tryied to start the car, security problem ,took key out, waited 3 minutes, tried to start again. This time I left the car in the on position for 12 minutes. I do not see where a security amything goes out after 10 or so minutes. It keeps flashing serutity problem, take key out. After 12 minutes I turned the key OFF but did not take it out of the ignition. I did this procedure 2 more times, turned the key OFF, did not take it out of the ignition and nothing happened. Did I do all the steps correctly, or should I have taken the key out of the ignition after each step. I am at a loss.
Expert:  Eric replied 1 month ago.

look at the attachment and let me know if your key looks like it and if it does, is the pellet the red arrow is pointing to missing from either side of the key

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Both pellets are intact. I id the 3 step relearn again.
First time I got 5 flashing prompts in my info window
1: Starting disabled
2: Remove key
3: Apply brake to shift
4: Theft system problem
5: Car may not start After 15 minutes all five of these items were still coming up. I had no idiot lights on anywhere
The second round of the procedure I got just the first 3 prompts in the info window. Second and third time of the procedure were the same. Theft system problem and Car may not start did not show up in the info window. Where do I go from here?
Expert:  Eric replied 1 month ago.

Unfortunately there is a hard fault in the system - possibly the ignition switch, immobilizer control module, antenna ring. This is going to require a scan tool to diagnose at this point