sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience

Trunk release, gas door, door locks, overhead lights

Customer Question

trunk release, gas door, door locks, overhead lights suddenly stopped working. I did have to get a jump start right before. I replaced batteries in the small remotes, but that didn't do it. Interior overhead lights now never come on. I have to use a key to open driver door and then open other doors manually. I need gas and discovered yesterday that I can't get to the cap. The little door won't open.
JA: Have you checked the fuses? Have you checked the door switches?
Customer: the owners manual does not show a fuse for the gas tank door.
JA: What is the model/year of your Cadillac?
Customer: 1992 Deville. Only 52,000 miles on it
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: The Cadillac dealer said I need a new car. They charged me 425 and said I don't drive it enough and the battery is going dead. I did not know about the gas door when I had it in
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: like ??
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

In the right side of the dash to the right of the glovebox area is the relay center. If there is no power from fuse 2, 15 amp, it will cause what you're having. Can you check this fuse?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Right side of the glove box is a disc player. No fuses. There is a fuse Bloc under hood and another under the back seat. Each have fuses marked 2. More info please.
Please post the VIN so I can verify application.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.

I'm a full time tech and at work this morning, I'll get back to you as quickly as I can.

Can you use a test light at the INT LP fuse in the rear fuse block to probe the terminals on top the fuse and see if one, two or no terminals have power?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No, I can't test. Will have to take car over son's to see if he can. Tell me what to do if they have power, or not. Otherwise I'll have to come home just to answer.

The results will dictate the course of action and we'll need to take it one stop at a time. I will not be at a wiring diagram for this vehicle until about 6 PM in any event.