Pete, Cadillac Technician
Experience:  17 years Cadillac experience as a technician.
14928985

I have a 1989 Cadillac Allante and right now all the

Customer Question

I have a 1989 Cadillac Allante and right now all the exterior and interior lights go out. Brake lights, fans, everything. The info center indicates a service requirement and informs of an electrical fault. An icon with a battery and the word under it of Volts. I was advised replace and did, the battery and alternator. It still does it. Works fine for a while then it goes out. I think it waits for me to get into traffic then goes out, very dangerous. What else can I do?
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Pete replied 3 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

This can be caused by an issue with a loose or corroded or damaged battery cable at the battery,leading off of the battery or starter or alternator or any loose or corroded grounds at the engine block and body.I have also seen issues with loose power input connections to the fuse panels that will cause this here needing corrected.

These things need to be checked into further to locate which is the cause here and from there then repaired/replaced to correct this fault.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I'm sorry Pete but I just got out of another vacation in the hospital and haven't had a chance to work on my car. I have one more thing I'm going to try before I get into inspecting and cleaning all the ground points. I'm going to replace my ignition switch as I've noticed it's sloppy enough to trigger up various messages on the screen when everything Is shut down. I'll let you know when I get mobile enough to do this. Thank you!Charles Willis
Expert:  Pete replied 3 months ago.

No problem Charles.Let me know how this turns out here when your ready.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here as this is how I receive credit for my time.Your 5 star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete