Kevin Bourcier
Kevin Bourcier,
Experience:  Owner/Technician at Max Air Mobile
83572702

Left power running board does not work all the time, would

Customer Question

left power running board does not work all the time, would like to unhook it so it is always down
JA: What is the model/year of your Cadillac?
Customer: escalade 2008
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: if i can fix it myself i would like to
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: i have tried to reset the running board, no help, cadillac garage said the motor needs replaced
JA: How many miles are on the car? Is it an automatic or a manual transmission?
Customer: 52000, automatic
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 3 months ago.

Hi, I'm Chad ,Welcome To JustAnswer, I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting a reply ASAP

1-Open the door and let the step down , then go under and unplug the motor or the module

while step is down

2- THERE A FUSE LABELD # J65 FOR THE RUNNING BOARD CIRCUIT YOU CAN TRY TAKE THAT OUT WHEN BOARD IS DOWN

I SENT YOU A DIAGRAM FOR FUSE BOX AND WHERE IT IS LOCATED

1 - Front Exhaust 2 - Transmission 3 - Running Board - Right 4 - Assist Step Control Module 5 - Running Board - Left

2008 Cadillac Truck Escalade RWD V8-6.2L

Save Article

INFORMATION Bulletin No.: 06-08-61-005C Date: June 14, 2010 Subject: Information on Initializing/Activating Articulating Running Boards Models: 2007-2011 Cadillac Escalade Models 2007-2011 Chevrolet Avalanche, Suburban, Tahoe 2007-2011 GMC Yukon Models with Articulating Running Boards (RPO BRS) Supercede: This bulletin is being revised to add the 2010 and 2011 model years. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 06-08-61-005B (Section 08 - Body and Accessories). A new RPO option (BRS) is now available for articulating running boards. Trucks built with the articulating running board option will have the running boards locked in the shipping mode position. The shipping mode position locks the running boards in the retractable position to prevent damage to running boards during delivery. When your dealership takes delivery of these trucks, the running boards need to be unlocked and activated.

Initializing Articulating Running Boards To activate and unlock the articulating running boards for normal operation, perform the following procedures:

1. Open all front and rear doors. 2. Set the parking brake. 3. Find the running board disable switch located on the center console below the HVAC climate control system. 4. Turn the ignition switch to the RUN position, with the engine off, and toggle the disable switch three times within 20 seconds to activate the power running boards. 5. Close all doors. 6. Open the left front or left rear door and the running board on the left side should articulate out. 7. Close the left front or left rear door and the running board should articulate in. 8. Open right front or right rear door and the running board on the right should articulate out. 9. Close the right front or right rear door and the running board should articulate in. The articulating running boards will now operate when opening either the front or rear doors on that side of the vehicle. A power retract operation of the running boards will occur with the closing of both doors on that side of the vehicle.

Zoom and Print Options

Please let me know if that work for you

Thank You

Chad Farhat

J-CASE FUSES - USAGE Fuse 57 ...................................................... Cooling Fan 1 Fuse 58 ................................. Automatic Level Control Compressor Fuse 59 ................................... Heavy Duty Antilock Brake System Fuse 60 ...................................................... Cooling Fan 2 Fuse 61 ............................................ Antilock Brake System 1 Fuse 62 ............................................................ Starter Fuse 63 ............................................ Stud 2 (Trailer Brakes) Fuse 64 .................................... Left Bussed Electrical Center 1 Fuse 65 ............................................ Electric Running Boards Fuse 66 .................................... Heated Windshield Washer System Fuse 67 ............................................ Four-Wheel Drive System Fuse 68 ........................... Stud 1 (Trailer Connector Battery Power) Fuse 69 ..................................... Mid-Bussed Electrical Center 1 Fuse 70 ............................................. Climate Control Blower Fuse 71 .............................................. Power Liftgate Module Fuse 72 .................................... Left Bussed Electrical Center 2

Let me know if you need anything else on it , just replay back here and we will continue

if you are good , Please Kindly rate me.

Hope I was helpful to you

A Positive Rating is Much Appreciated

This Post Will Stay Open for You To Come back and Ask me Any Follow Up Question You May have on this issue , even after you rate me

Thank You

Chad Farhat

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
did you not understand it won't come down, info not helping

i cant help you on it , I will open up question for another expert ,sorry

good luck

you mentioned not work all the time , so it does not work at all now which one is it ?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
not working today
Expert:  Kevin Bourcier replied 3 months ago.

okay you will not believe me here but try this . Jack up that side of the vehicle . locate all of the linkage / hinge points . wash them down with either a pressure washer or a cleaner such as an aerosol Brake cleaner . Blow them off very well with compressed air , repeat this proceedure . libricate ALL of the hinge points / linkage with a good quality aerosol spray lubricant and then operate the door to activate the running board . work it until it is free and continues to function properly .

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
i have used penatrating oil on it, don't hear motor trying to work when it needs to go down, hear motor it when it should be going back up

you need to " clean " the mechanisms and the hinge / linkage system . do this first . then lubricate it

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
ok

just to explain . The motor has a built in Load or circuit breaker . if there is excessive " mechanical " resistance it can trip the breaker not allowing the running board to deploy . the breaker does automatically reset , but also will continue to " trip "