Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Cadillac Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification

During hard rains, water is leaking on the passenger and

Customer Question

During hard rains, water is leaking on the passenger and driver side on the floor mates. I have removed the wiper blades and panel to see if I can find the drain hole. Obviously, no drain on the driver side. I see the filter exposed on the passenger side under the hood. Trying to see down in the box for a hole?
JA: What part of the car is the leak coming from? And are you sure it's water?
Customer: Yes, only happens during these hard rains we are having in Houston. Thought It might be a drain hole clogged up?
JA: What is the model/year of your Cadillac?
Customer: CTS 2009
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes. In the process of trying to locate a drain hose or hole that would let the water out to the ground under the car.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: No, not at this point
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 2 months ago.

Hi, I'm Chad ,Welcome To JustAnswer, I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting a reply ASAP

Check this first , the sunroof drain hole

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

2009 Cadillac CTS RWD V6-3.6L

Save Article

Sunroof Drain Inspection and Cleaning Drain Hose Routing Note: If the headliner is wet DO NOT remove any interior trim. Do the Plugged Drain Hose test first. A drain trough encircles the sunroof window panel and water is drained off by the drain hoses located at each corner of the housing. A drain channel spans across the sunroof module at the rear of the window panel and directs water into the trough. 1. The front drain hoses are routed down the windshield pillars and out the center of the pillar between the door hinges. The front hoses are installed in a rubber grommet and retained by clips. 2. The rear drain hoses are routed through the rear pillars and out of the rocker panel. In some vehicle the drain hoses are routed out through the metal roof slots and routed to the lower wheelhouse to drain out of the vehicle. The rear hoses are installed in a rubber grommet and retained by clips. Plugged Drain Hose If a waterleak has occurred check for a plugged drain hose at each corner of drainage system. 1. Open the sunroof window. 2. To test for blockage, pour a small container of water into the module housing drain trough. Check each corner to confirm the drain hose is draining water.

Warning Wear safety glasses in order to avoid eye damage. 3. Use compressed air, 241 kPa (35 psi) or less to blow out any drain hose that is plugged. 4. Test the system again. 5. If the hose remains plugged, check to see it is properly routed and does not have a kink. Refer to Sunroof Housing Front Drain Hose Replacement ( See: Sunroof / Moonroof Drain > Removal and Replacement > Sunroof Housing Front Drain Hose Replacement) or Sunroof Housing Rear Drain Hose Replacement ( See: Sunroof / Moonroof Drain > Removal and Replacement > Sunroof Housing Rear Drain Hose Replacement). 6. Remove the blockage using the following steps. 1. Push mechanics wire through the hose to remove the obstruction. 2. Use compressed air in order to blow out any remaining material. Disconnected Drain Hose Inspect the drainage system for disconnected drain hoses. Complete the following steps in order to obtain partial access to drain hoses and check for a disconnected hose. 1. Open the sunroof window panel. 2. Lower the headliner as needed. Refer to Headlining Trim Panel Replacement ( See: Headliner > Removal and Replacement). 3. Connect any disconnected hoses. 4. Ensure that the rear drain hoses are properly routed in the metal roof slot and taped in place.