Pete, Cadillac Technician
Experience:  17 years Cadillac experience as a technician.

I received a 1377 code on my 1997 Cadillac deville. when I

Customer Question

I received a 1377 code on my 1997 Cadillac deville. when I drive it surges and then cuts off.
JA: Just to clarify, what's the exact code? And have you tried to reset it?
Customer: yes reset it and it came back and did the same thing
JA: Are you fixing your DeVille yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: no, i'm just trying to troubleshoot and pinpoint the problem
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: it's just the first time something like this has happened. The car has 208,330 miles
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

This code sets when there is a fault with the 4x reference signal from the cam sensor pulses.This usually a result of the ignition module itself needing replaced or an issue with wiring and connections from the cam sensor and ignition module.Below is the diagram and diagnostic procedure for testing this issue here on what needs tested and checked to locate and repair this issue.

This diagnostic test checks to see if there are eight 4X reference pulses between CAM signals. Do not attempt diagnosis or repair unless the customer is experiencing driveability problems associated with this DTC.

Test Conditions

^ DTC P1376 not set.
^ Engine speed greater than 496 RPM.
^ Number of CAM pulses received since key ON is 7 or greater.

Failure Condition

The number of 4X reference pulses during two CAM pulses periods is not 16 at least 2 times in a row.

^ The PCM will illuminate the Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) when the diagnostic runs and fails.
^ The PCM will record operating conditions at the time the diagnostic fails. This information will be stored in the Freeze Frame and Failure Records.

^ The PCM will turn the MIL OFF after three consecutive drive trips that the diagnostic runs and does not fail.
^ A Last Test Failed (current) DTC will clear when the diagnostic runs and does not fail.
^ A History DTC will clear after forty consecutive warm-up cycles with no failures of any emission related diagnostic test.
^ PCM battery voltage is interrupted.
^ Using a Scan tool.

Since this DTC can set under normal conditions no diagnosis should be performed unless a driveability complaint is present.

This DTC may also set if all four camshafts are off by one tooth, 10° before top dead center, this will be accompanied by severe driveability complaints.

Number(s) below refer to the step number(s) on the Diagnostic Table.

2. Other conditions may cause this DTC to set. Diagnose them first.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete