Pete, Cadillac Technician
Experience:  17 years Cadillac experience as a technician.
14928985

Will ignition switch cause not to have headlights?.Will not

Customer Question

Will ignition switch cause not to have headlights?.Will not start .All started with changing battery and ignition cylinder.I programed the key per instructions.Can not get code reader to link up either
JA: Have you checked the fuses? Have you checked the bulbs?
Customer: fuses and relays
JA: What is the model/year of your Cadillac?
Customer: 2000 Dts
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes. when I try to start dash lights go out. checked ground from alternator to body. checked fuses & relays.Starter will crank if u jump ignition relay plug in
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: guess I have covered what I have done
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Pete replied 3 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

If you havent yet I would check the ignition switch that connects in line with the ignition cylinder and make sure it is lined up properly and is functioning properly with the cylinder operation as this can cause this type of fault here.Usually this wont cause an issue with no head lights but can cause other electrical faults.

Double check and make sure all fuses are good in all fuse panels as well.If these are all checked and found to be o.k. let me know.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
seems that I don't have power up front lights blinker horn. Checked all relays & fuses Going to try ignition switch running out of ideas.When turning key I have dash lights then loose them in start position.I know starter will crank when relay posts are jumped. Any other ideas?
Expert:  Pete replied 3 months ago.

When you lose the dash lights in the start position do the lights return after releasing from the start position at all?