Pete, Cadillac Technician
Experience:  17 years Cadillac experience as a technician.

My tailgate will not open and both clips and rods aree

Customer Question

My tailgate will not open and both clips and rods aree intact. How do I get this to open?
JA: What is the model/year of your Cadillac?
Customer: 2007 EXT
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes, I have tried to push the rods with a screwdriver. The remote unlocks all the doors, but I no longer hear the unlock or locking noise in the tailgate.
JA: Is this your first time dealing with this issue?
Customer: Yes
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: No
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

Most of the time this is a fault with the tail gate latch itself with the latch being defective needing replaced.I have had to replace this before for this issue here.Unfortunately the interior door paneling needs removed when the door is stuck closed to access the latch to try and manually release it then replace it from there.When this is done though this can sometimes damage the internal paneling with it needing repaired or replaced after the latch is replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete