Randall C
Randall C, ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE Master Tech, 32 years exp,Cadillac 6 yrs
13677702

My tension pulley gave and serpintine belt broke i replaced

Customer Question

my tension pulley gave and serpintine belt broke i replaced them and now it wont start just turns
JA: What shape is the serpentine belt in? Is it cracked, shiny, or frayed? And have you ever replaced one?
Customer: shreaded I replaced it and had it taken to the shop and they are saying that I might have some timing damage but they will look and let me know . how serious is this and can they save me enginge
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: no I have it a shop
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: just need some good new about it .just hoping the timing is my only problem
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Randall C replied 3 months ago.

hello, year? model? engine>?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
2003 Cadillac CTS 3.0? It's a six

thanks, ***** ***** me

Ok, what has likely happend? the belt broke and got wrapped some around the crank pulley/ gear, it wedges itself in the cover and causes the timing belt to jump, then it will not start. I am her to give info as it is, good or bad and in all fairness? normally this is not that bad, 2.5 hours labor and a new timing belt and on you go, The possible? bad news? this is an interference engine. Meaning one runs the risk of pistoms hitting the valves should a timing belt jump . get out of time etc. you run a 50/50 risk this may have happened. sometimes it does not, All the shop can do is put another timing belt on and hope the valves were not bent. Cost? 2.5 hours = around $250 in our shop and the timing belt etc etc say around $100 . Now,, if valves are bent? then this becomes costly. I am sorry but the heads are then removed and valves changed. We ahve seen serp belts break and cause this as they get wrapped into the timing belt thus why the shop says "timing" I am on your side, I am hoping for the best but would not be fair in not letting you know the worst case, NO way for ME to know . I can only send information for you to be able to have a talk with the shop and no surprises

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
just want an answer

I just sent one. you did not get the answer?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you. I just pray its just the timing .

what you mean is just timing belt, yes timing, I do hope all goes ok, Please leave feedback for my service provided today, I do work hard giving answers to my customers. Thanks, randall

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you I needed some straight answers

your welcome. I worked for caddy for 13 years, I know the drill on them , Please leave the feedback for my service and thanks