sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

We have a 05 STS AWD, Vin# 1G6DC67A750148439, We did

Customer Question

We have a 05 STS AWD, Vin# ***** We did frt/rear brake pads & rotors 3 years ago and the squeal sensor activated indictaing the "rear pads are down" to the replacement min thickness... Relatively straight forward. Problem is he only got 10k miles. I looked at the pad "swept area" and the old pads: DG1020 are not fully contacting the full circumference of the brake disc. It's not contacting the bottom 1/3 of the rotor, Towards the Bell of the rotor. I looked at all possible pads: dg1020, dg922, they are all the same, they fit into the caliper holder correctly, but do not contact the full rotor. I called Raybestos and they said that this is NORMAL ?? That they intentionally make them smaller to increase brake cooling and longevity. yet he only got 10k miles ?? It can't be an issue with the calipers or the mounting brackets, "its the same on both sides", The rotors are correct or else the caliper mountings or the calipers wouldn't fit, I'm at a LOSS what to do. The next year 06 uses Brembo brakes which use a "pins" to hold in the pads, completely different style. And 05 is the first year for AWD..
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Pete replied 8 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Does it appear the rotors are warped at all?

Did you check a set of pads from a dealer to see what they look like?

Let me know,thanks Pete

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Sorry, I should have stated that I went to the dealer and their OEM pads are the same as mine, DG1020, Delco # 19142410, The rotors are warped a pp 020.0, Telling me they are working to hard ??

Expert:  Pete replied 8 months ago.

If the pads are only making partial contact with the rotors this will heat up that area of the rotor and warp them.Then from here on out any new pads will ride and wear the same until the rotors are resurfaced or replaced to correct this fault here.

I would have the rotors resurfaced or replaced then compare the pads to the rotors and see if you can find a set that brakes even on the rotors.Usually dealer pads are recommended as they are the exact correct fit.I dont see any technical service bulletins out on this issue here myself but it sounds like the first set of replacement pads warped the rotors and this is why the other pads now do not fit to the rotor evenly.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Pete, I know we are all busy, Please Re-read my post, Your last comment makes no sense to what I wrote, Most of what you stated is common sense, No insult intended. The bottom of the brake pad is NOT close to the bottom edge of the rotor ?? has 75% contact.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Its hard to explain, but if it were a LP record album, I can play 10 of the 15 songs. the last 3/4" the pads are not big enough for the rotor. Its not partial at all. the is not enough brake pad

Expert:  Pete replied 8 months ago.

I apologize.This is a difficult one for me to diagnose myself.

I will open your question up for others here to see if someone else can assist further on this as there may be others here that may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.If you feel you want to continue to work with me on this feel free to reply at any time but keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair this without seeing your vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

I can send a pic of the rotor if you want..

Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 8 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

Do you still need help?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Yes, according Bendix and Raybestos, They opted for using this much smaller version I assume for costs, and this is the first year hey offered AWD on a STS, 06 and newer use a different type all together, Brembo, which have old style pins to secure the pads, I dont know what the answer is, any ideas appreciated, thx Joe

I'm not sure that you have an actual problem, but if you can upload a picture I'd like to take a look.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Sorry, I can't seem to insert pic here, any ideas ?

Do you have a picture showing the caliper and pads installed?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.

will send in am thx

Ok.