Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  34 year as an ASE Tech
7276279

Drivers door won't open from the outside-just searching to

Customer Question

Drivers door won't open from the outside-just searching to see if I can find a diagnosis=thx! 2009 STS
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Took to my buddies shop (auto Upholstery) figuring it was the handle-he figured out it was electrical but wanted me to research before we replaced anyting
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Panel light doesn't come on but I can open with the key-all the other doors work.
JA: Have you checked the fuses? Have you checked the door switches?
Customer: I have checked and both are good, I can tell you when it started happening was last week when I was cleaning I accidentely left the accessory on for several hours and battery went dead-drivers door was working when I was charging the battery and continued not working (on and off though) when it was charged and even when I bought a new battery yesterday.
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Ron replied 4 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here. The most common cause for the problem you are having with the drivers door is in most cases caused by a failing Driver Side Door Handle Switch. In order to determine if in fact this is your issue you are going to need to do some testing. I have enclosed the test steps in the link below.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/Door%20latch%20Aug%203.pdf

See the wiring diagram in the link below for reference and testing.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/Door%20circuit%20Aug%203.pdf