sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience

I have a 91 Cadillac Seville, i've noticed that while

Customer Question

I have a 91 Cadillac Seville, i've noticed that while driving around town after maybe 20-30 minutes my car will start to choke and lose power. However, when I ease up on the gas the car runs fine. Ive just had a tune up and this is still happening, also no check engine light or anything similar appears when this issue occurs.
If this helps, the car has 78000 miles, is using synthetic oil, and I always put chevron gas in it.
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

If you have a hesitation on acceleration that goes away as you let up on the throttle then low fuel pressure would be the most likely cause. You may have a failing fuel pump, a poor power or ground to the pump, a restricted fuel filter, possibly a bad fuel pressure regulator.

Do you know how old the fuel filter is?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi sprinkles, Thanks for the reply! The fuel filter was replaced about a week ago as part of the tune-up that was done. My mechanic tested the fuel pump and told me that it held pressure just fine. I hadn't thought of the fuel pressure regulator though.

Do you know what fuel pressure is under a load while driving when the problem happens? That's what needs to be tested.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
How can I test that?

A fuel pressure gauge needs to be hooked up and then the car driven to allow the problem to happen while monitoring pressure.