rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor
Experience:  Since 1975
12769047

Have a 07 Cadillac Escalade 6.2. Having acceleration

Customer Question

Have a 07 Cadillac Escalade 6.2. Having acceleration problems. Totally intermittent. Sometimes it very slowly accelerates until you push the gas down harder. Sometimes you can hit the gas and it jus seems like it doesn't even know it and dies down but never cuts off. So I changed the gas pedal assembly. No change.. Not getting any codes or check engine light.
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 4 months ago.

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. I’m Ron and I’ll be helping you
today.
Before we get started though, Please understand that I don't know
your skill level or tools you have to assist us. Also understand that
I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle either, so patience is
appreciated. JA is a great Q/A site, but it does NOT replace a
repair shop.
My goal is to make you happy and get a great rating in return for
my time. Sometimes I have to give you bad news that I know you
didn’t want to hear, so please don’t shoot the messenger.

I would check the fuel pressure and volume with a gauge, and also check the exhaust for a restriction. It would also be a good idea to scan to the computer PID's for more information. keep me posted.

Thanks, Ron

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I am an aircraft mechanic so I'm decent with my hands. I have a scanner. What pids do you recommend I monitor?
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 4 months ago.

All of them that are related to MAF, TP and timing advance.

Thanks again, and please don't forget to rate me and keep this link i case you need me again later on.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Just picked up a fuel guage. Pressure is 50 in "on" running needle flickers like crazy at 70
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 4 months ago.

Okay, that's a bad pump if that gauge is working right.

Thanks again and please don't forget to rate me and keep this link in case you need me again later on.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
What pressure should it read? And by flickering I mean it never leaves 70 it just kinda bouncy
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 4 months ago.

50-60 so you're too high which means a pressure regulator is bad.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I'm not getting any rich codes. And I'm confused because I when I turn the key to on the pump comes on and builds pressure to about 52-53 psi. It only jumps up when running. If the regulator was bad wouldn't it read high always?
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 4 months ago.

Forget about codes, they don't apply here, they're not hooked up to your O2 sensors.

KOEO and KOER are two totally different tests.

Thanks again, and please remember to rate me for my time.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Do you have any guides to replacing the fuel pump. And with the rich condition. Should I check the catalytic converters? How do I go about that?
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 4 months ago.

You just drop the fuel tank and pull out the old pump then put in the new one. It's not hard at all.

It's NOT that rich to effect the CAT. You would have to be blowing out black smoke for that to be a concern.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
the high pressure couldn't be caused by the fuel system control module? I have a 2009 escalade ext also and when the pump went bad I got high and low pressure codes. And could the symptoms I'm having definitely be caused by the 10 psi high pressure? I just want to be 100% percent sure before I spend the 300 plus dollars. Thanks for your patience.
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 4 months ago.
You just did the testing and told me the results. Your pressure in not within specs. If you have a scan tool and a lab scope, you can do even more resting like I do in my shops.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I went back out and hooked up the fuel pressure tester for one more go before dropping the tank. Found out it was jumping because I had it sitting in the motor hahaha. It holds steady at 64-65 and a weird thing I found is If I bleed the pressure down with the button engine off it doesn't build back up when the key is turned to on. I can't even hear the pump.. I double checked by pressing in the Schrader valve no pressure.. But somehow it starts and then the pressure rises back up.. How is it starting with no starting pressure? The guage is a brand new master pro brand from oriellys.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
does this change anything or should I keep assuming tank drop?
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 4 months ago.
Drop the tank and rate me for my time. Still keep this link in case you need me again later on.
Thanks
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I'd like for you to opt out. I'm asking questions with out getting answers.. Even if it is a pump I still have legitimate questions pertaining to the original inquiry... I have used this service hundreds of times and first time I ran into someone I don't want to talk to. So please let me speak to another person. Thanks for your time.
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 4 months ago.
I opted our per your request, but you mentioned something that requires your attention with this site. You said you asked hundreds of questions where your profile shows 4 and you rated only one. You may want to correct that so you get credit for your hundreds. Thanks
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
This is my personal account.. We have one at work thanks
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Still waiting on a reply
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Changed fuel pump 355$ later same problem