Pete, Cadillac Technician
Experience:  17 years Cadillac experience as a technician.
14928985

My vehicle is saying unknown driver... won't start, No, 04

Customer Question

My vehicle is saying unknown driver... won't start
JA: Does the engine turn over? How old is the battery?
Customer: No
JA: What is the model/year of your Cadillac?
Customer: 04 esclade esv
JA: What year is your Cadillac?
Customer: 04 cadillac exclade
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Well i was teying to put the hypertech max energy programmer on it an that what it says
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: That's it.... it was running before we tried to install
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Pete replied 9 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

This usually indicates the security system has engaged and does not recognize the key programming any more.Try this relearn below with a fully charged battery and this should correct the issue here.If this does not work then a dealer will have to check and update the programming in the computer to correct this fault.

30 Minute Learn Procedure
1. Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
2. Attempt to start the engine, then release the key to ON; the vehicle will not start.
3. Observe the SECURITY telltale; after approximately 10 minutes the telltale will turn OFF.
4. Turn OFF the ignition, and wait 5 seconds.
5. Repeat steps 1 through 4 two more times for a total of 3 cycles/30 minutes; the vehicle is now ready to relearn the Passlock Sensor Data Code and/or passwords on the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK.
6. Start the engine.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,a rating of 4 or 5 is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete