sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience

I am having a problem starting my Cadillac CTS. The gear

Customer Question

I am having a problem starting my Cadillac CTS. The gear shift is loose the shift is loose it move up and down. The switch turn over the doors lock all works but it won't start.
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

If the shifter is loose and moves with no resistance then you have a shift linkage issue. Either the shift cable is off at the shifter or the transmission or the cable itself may be broken. If the cable broke or popped off and is preventing the trans from shifting into park then that will prevent the starter from engaging which explains the no start condition.

The first thing that should be done is check the shift cable at the trans to see if it's intact and then the shifter end if necessary. If the cable is attached at both ends yet it doesn't move at the trans when moving the shifter then the cable is broken.