Eric Gardner
Eric Gardner, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE

I own a 2010 cadillac srx a/c which will not cool after it

Customer Question

I own a 2010 cadillac srx a/c which will not cool after it has been sitting in the sun. If you drive it for a while and then turn off the engine and restart the car it starts to cool with cold air immediatly after starting the engine. Will cool for 10 to 15 minutes and then just blow warm air. I have been to dealer twice to fix the problem. First time they indicated the evaperator was bad and while trying to remove and replace they indicated it was cracked and released little BB size ball bearings throughout the system requiring the entire a/c system to be replaced to the tune of $2,300. Worked for three days and then same issue not cooling after sitting in sun. Took it back and they said compressor was faulty which they then replaced at no charge. Worked for two days and then same issue not cooling after sitting out in sun, turn off engine restart and will cool for 10 to 15 minutes then blow warm air.
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Eric Gardner replied 3 months ago.

This is a very frustrating ordeal to go through. I am sorry that the dealer isn't able to get the repair right the first time. especially after spending 2,300.00.

It sounds like there is still a blockage within the system that is not allowing the refrigerant to cycle efficiently.

The only other thing I can think of is that the A/C cooling fan is not working all the time. If there is no airflow over the condenser the A/C's cooling effect will be compromised.

Keep in mind that the A/C will work best while the car is moving down the road. This is because of the air flow that occurs over the condenser at speed. Any car while sitting in a parking lot will see diminished cooling, especially if the ambient temp is over 90 degrees.

Anyways, I would stake the car back to the dealer and keep doing so until the repair is completed. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns.