Chris (aka- Moose), Cadillac Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience

I have a 2008 cadillac sts 3.6di. since i bought the car 3

Customer Question

i have a 2008 cadillac sts 3.6di. since i bought the car 3 years ago I had a misfire in cylinder 3. changed the spark plugs and everything was fine. But recently its been happening again in cylinder 3. i also noticed a few times driving the car has all of a sudden lost power, i hammer on the gas petal and nothing happens. sometimes it picks up and sometimes it doesn't. those are the two issues i am having. i put brand new spark plugs in, topped up the oil and hanged the filter, did a throttle body cleaning. i usually put a stick on the petal to open the throttle body. i did this a few times and it worked but this time it didn't. i also did an upper intake cleaning. after i did all this i took the car for a drive, and it was bogging out even worse then before, gas petal was not responding at times and i had a misfire on cylinder 4 with brand new plugs in. i switched the coils to see if it would misfire on a different cylinder but the code came up again on cylinder 4. so i pulled cylinder 4 spark plug, put the old one back in and there was no misfire code. i am using "acdelco" spark plugs. so now i have no misfire code, but the car is still losing power and the gas petal does not respond at all. sometimes it works and other times i have to restart the car. when i lose power "traction active" comes up on my screen. i have recently done the front and rear wheel bearings, and changed my back tires to 235/45/r17 which is not recommended. i have been doing a lot of research on cadillac forums and i was thinking that it might be the throttle body, or catalytic converter or fuel pump, or the bearings ? I could use some help trouble shooting. let me know what you think.
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 3 months ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose) I prefer working afternoon till just after midnight.

You have mentioned a couple things which raise red flags. You said you changes the back tires. If the tire circumference on all tires does not match then the ABS system thinks your losing traction. You mentioned the traction control light on. When that happens the ABS computer will tell the engine computer to take power away from the engine which is why your getting this throttle delay and misfire. This is occurring because the computer is acting based on it seeing a traction loss when in fact a traction loss is not even occurring.

If you're confused on what to do now or later. You have already been charged the full question value. It's now time to compensate the tech that helped you. The only way I can continue to work here and help customers is by getting rated. If you're not pleased yet or plan not to rate me. Let me know so I can help more, close the post, or opt out. Please let me know if you're pleased with my help.

Thanks Moose.

Hello again Chris here,

• I am contacting you because the post has not been closed out/completed.
  • It appears you were not pleased with my help.
  • If more assistance is needed, reply and let me know, also let me know what it is you're needing to be pleased.
  • This post is coming up on the 7 day mark where it times out. When a post times out, that means it's no longer on my active list (you reply and I never know it.)
  • You have already paid the fees to get this question answered, and I do not want you to leave having paid for something that did not meet your wants/needs and myself not receiving a feedback selection from yourself.

Thanks Chris