Dan, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Dealer Auto Technician

I changed the headlight bulbs in my 2011 Cadillac srx. The

Customer Question

I changed the headlight bulbs in my 2011 Cadillac srx. The headlights work fine but now the car won't crank. The rest of the electrical system seems OK. Any suggestions? The battery reads out at 11.74 volts. In order to get my hand into the cramped space, I removed the cover to the engine fuse block and (temporarily) 2 relays to make a little room for my hand. I also disconnected the battery while I worked on the car.
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

You are sure you installed the relays back in the same position in the box?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
the larger one can only go in one way due to the position and size of the pins, and I've tried both ways and still no difference. Here are some other things I've noticed. The brake pedal seems to be harder to push (probably because the power brakes are not operating with the engine off. It has a keyless entry which seems to be operating normally, except I only get clicks when I step on the brake pedal, along with the dash lights, radio, power seat, etc. Actually, it seems like the rest of the electrical system is working normally. The battery, when checked with a multimeter. shows 12.12 volts. I put the charger on the battery for 1 hour - nothing. I tried to jump it with another car - nothing. I did notice, however, when I tried to move the shifter, that the gear indicator on the dash was not lit.
Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

Disconnect the both battery cables and hold the positive and the negative cable ends together for 30 seconds and the reconnect. Let me know what happens after that.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I'll be right back.
Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The ends of the cables would not reach other so I used one wire of a set of jumper cables to touch the pos. and neg. together. There are no changes in the symptoms - it still does not crank. I thought of something else, however. I did not check all of the fuses in this fuse block. Do you think that would be a good idea? If not, what next?
Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

Yes, check all the fuses. You may need a gm quality scan tool for this. You may have a theft system code store which is not allowing the engine to crank. Do you see a security light on the dash when you try to start it?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It may take awhile to check the fuses. But I'll check for a security light on the dash and get back to you right away on that.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
OK, when I push the START button on the dash, it either turns all the dash lights on or it turns them off. The only light that stays on either way is one that says ((P)) with the word PARK under it. The other lights that go on and off with the key button are: gas pump, ((P)) with "PARK" under it, ((P)) with a wrench under it, a picture of a car with skidmarks under it, and a little seatbelt symbol. I saw no sign of a security symbol anywhere on the dash. Do you think it is significant that the ((P)) with the wrench stays on? I'll check the fuse for anything that has to do with the electric parking brake first, if I can find it.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
BTW Dan, my owner's manual shows #35 "Electronic Brake Control Module" and #15 "Run/Crank." I'll check these first. They are both mini fuses.
Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

Ok let me know what you find. Sorry I cannot help you more, hard to diagnose without being there.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Well, I was hopeful for #35 "Electronic Brake Control Module" mini fusebut it tests OK with a continuity tester. #15 "Run/Crank" is a relay and I don't know how to test it. I did exchange it with another just like it and still no difference. Some of these small fuses come apart when you try to remove them. And, what's more, it's getting late. BTW Dan, what time do you call it a day? I'm willing to keep on going but if it's near your quitting time, maybe we could pick this up tomorrow if we don't get it today.
Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

I will be off and on for awhile today. You really need a scan tool. Try holding the key fob against the button, maybe its not recognizing the key for some reason.

Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

If it has a key slot, insert the key.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No key hole and holding key fob against the button did not do it. So, do you think we are finished because I don't have a scan tool? I suppose any Cadillac dealer would have a scan tool, yes? If you are available tomorrow you can reach me at(###) ###-####(cell) or(###) ###-####(home). Thanks for your help. I never thought changing a couple of headlights would be such a huge event.
Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

Double check the area that you were working make sure nothing got unplugged.

Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

Hello again Dan here,

I am contacting you because the post has not been closed or rated.

Posts close in 7 days. That means you will not be able to contact me on this question.

You have already paid the fees to get this question answered, but you have not rated.

Let me help some more. Is there anything else I can help you with?

Please use the 5 star rating system at the top of the screen, it would be appreciated.

If you feel the need to rate less than 3 stars, please let me know why and how I can help you more.

I do not get compensated for my time and resources unless you rate me.

Thanks Dan