Cary York
Cary York,
Experience:  Auto Tech at Certified Auto Repair

I am considering buying a 2008 STS V8 that has an issue

Customer Question

I am considering buying a 2008 STS V8 that has an issue where the engine starts, but then shuts itself off. I am sure this could be many things, but is there a frequent issue with this problem that I should investigate when I go see the car?
JA: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?
Customer: I will certainly check that. I can bring my equipment to check on charging and battery. Any major things that tend to make the engine shut off and not just die from lack of fuel or stuff like that?
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I hope to, or if more major, pay to get fixed. I haven't even seen the car yet.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Don't have any other information. Car looks very clean from pics and has only 70,000 miles.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Cadillac Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Cary York replied 3 months ago.

Hi, I’m Cary and I’ll be helping you today.
Before we get started though, please understand that I don't know your skill level or tools you have to assist us. Also understand that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle either, so patience is appreciated.

As you said, it could be several things. One question I would have is when it shuts off will it restart or does it have to sit (cool down) awhile? I checked for TSB but found none for this problem. Do you have a scan tool?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Can I rent one?
I don't believe you can rent one. I've never seen one for rent at a part store. You can purchase a code reader for around $99. Have you went to check it out yet?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No, not yet.

If it is shutting off and takes a while to restart it could be fuel pump, crank sensor, etc. If restarts as soon as you put in park and crank, possibly IAC, dirty throttle body, etc. Need to check for codes. Maybe you and the seller can drive it to the parts store and let them scan it for codes.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok. That is a good idea. Thank you!

Sure. Let me know how it goes.